GUN buying an Ak need help..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Frazz, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Frazz

Frazz New Member

ok i want an ak...

you convinced me on the 5.45 over 7.62

i knew alot about 47, not 74

assuming you want the depression above the mag,
    polish & Bulgarian are best receivers <--- any others :dunno:

can you take a folding and make it a fixed, i know folding runs about 100-150 more but if i run into one at gun show, ya never know:x:

how expensive would wooden furniture be, i want all wooden, typ russian red furniture... love the stock look:bowdown:

can i use other 47 stuff like a 47 bayonet on the 74?

any other major concerns for looking at a 74 i should know... :dunno:

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

For fixed wood stock, you can get one for $650 at Ohio Rapid Fire. There seems to be some issues with them in the past that I read about in the other forum I frequent. I am not sure if we can link to other forums here so I won't do that. But to be fair, there are a lot of people who are happy with their ORF AKs.

ORF builds on Bulgarian kit, and apparently all 3 types (wood, plastic and folder) were in stock 2 days ago.

Polish Tantal are improved AK74 but note that they do not share all parts with other AK74.

You would get a Polish or Bulgarian Kit with US made receivers to be legal.

Mags are more expensive than AK47, and all of its spare parts are probably more expensive too.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

assuming you want the depression above the mag,
    polish & Bulgarian are best receivers <--- any others :dunno:
    Those are the two to look for.

can you take a folding and make it a fixed, i know folding runs about 100-150 more but if i run into one at gun show, ya never know:x:
    Polish Tantals come with a folding stock. They have a standard trunnion so you could put on a fixed stock any time you want.

how expensive would wooden furniture be, i want all wooden, typ russian red furniture... love the stock look:bowdown:
    Authentic Russian laminate furniture will be expensive. But you can stain Romanian furniture, which is about $20-30 bucks a set, to match just fine.

can i use other 47 stuff like a 47 bayonet on the 74?

47 bayonets will fit on 74s and vice versa.

any other major concerns for looking at a 74 i should know...
    Tantal's are a little differnt than standard AK-74s. The only thing that is unique to the Tantal is the top handguard and the muzzle brake threading (which is 14x1 LH, standard the AK-47.)
    74 mags are around $15 each, buy as many as you think you'll need because they won't be getting any cheaper. A couple cases of 5.45 wouldn't hurt either. They are cheap and fun to blast. ;)

My Opinion, I have both and they have the same boring reliability. The Bulgarian fixed stock is a bit more comfortable, but if you want Red, you'll probably end up swapping it out. Tantals are a bit cheaper and you still get everything the Bulgarian 74 has.

4. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

S&W is coming out w/ MP15 that takes 5.45x39 as well. If this cartridge is a hit with AR folks it'll guarantee its survival after all the surpluses dry up.

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Best of luck to them, but Alexander Arms tried that with the .21 Genghis back before they put out the Beowulf/Grendel rounds.

I'd rather have a good bolt action in 5.45 though, since the round is a fucking screamer.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd:

ORF has a 5.45 Galil coming out too.

8. Frazz

Frazz New Member

thanks... for a good one, how low would you begin bartering... say 600 offer...

gun show in 2 weeks ftmfw.... saw a bunch of aks there last times :bowdown:
    ok so i dont sound/look like a dumass, whats the visual way of telling the difference b/w the 47 and 74? :dunno:

9. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

oh shit!gonna have to jump on one of those

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

By the look of the brake, if it's a slant brake most likely a 47. If it has 45 degrees gas block most likely a 47, if it has almost 90 degrees gas block most likely a 74.

You can also tell by how curved the magazine is but at a gun show it wont have the magazine inserted so that goes out the door.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

im buying a crate of 5.45 so now i need to decide whether i want to build an ak74 or buy a 5.45 AR upper :o

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I have so much 5.45 now. I'll wait until the surplus drys up and people don't want their 5.45 ARs. I'll get one used cheap ;)

14. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

I have a huge medical expense coming up or I would be still buying cases of 545. Buy what you can while you can.

15. Frazz

Frazz New Member

anyone have a good compare pic, differences in 47, 74 dont know if i know clearly see the differences...i think i do but not sure...

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Top is a 47 and bottom is a 74. Generally 47s have the 45 degree gas block and 74s have the 90 degree gas block which is the piece connecting the gas tube to the barrel. 47s usually just have the standard slant muzzle brake too, while 74s are a bit more fancy.

Most should have the caliber stamped into the receiver too so you can always check that out.
    [​IMG]

17. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

damn I want an ak soo bad, but I need to buy glass for the AR :madfawk: