Buying an 05 SV650S today... have some questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ninor, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

Hey guys... I know how much you... and everyone else that rides, absolutely love SV650s... so I found one on craiglist and went to check it out today with a friend of mine. The bike is 2005 with 10k miles and the guy is selling it for $3,300. I want to ask you guys before I buy it... what should I look for mechanically? Are there any known issues with SVs I should be aware of? The guy that's selling it is in his 40s but he bought the bike from a friend who bought it not too long ago and was going to use it as a track bike but then she got deployed from NC to go to Iraq. The seller has a nice touring BMW with 99k, a Harley, and just sold his wife's VSTROM 650 yesterday... I am not sure if he is flipping bikes or not but that's not my problem. My friend that test drove it is 42, had been riding for over 20 years so he knows bikes but he is not a mechanic or nothing... he said that bike rides nicely and there is no clicking or anything else with transmission or engine. I posted in main forum but I am not getting any responses today. Here is the link to that thread.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4217768

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bike has that one scratch from a driveway drop and thats why the guy is selling it below low retail on NADA which is $3,325 I believe. Also, what is the max I should pay for this bike? $3,000? The guy that test drove it said it's worth every penny at $3,300.

2. Vendetta

Vendetta New Member

Sounds like a good deal, did you look it up and see if there are any tickets associated with it? registration/title all good?/salvaged title? The pictures indicate it looks stock to me, but anything aftermarket put on? Did the guy just let your friend test drive without having any cash on hand to buy it in the event the test driver dropped it? - if so I'd worry about how badly he wants to sell it.

3. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

No, I did not look it up to see if there are any tickets associated with it and if the registration/title is good, but I assume it is... I am not paying cash before we verify all of that. He did say that the title is NC title so he would first have to transfer it to FL and then sell it to me on FL title. Yes, he did let my friend test drive it without having any cash on hand... but he did give him his motorcycle endorsed driver license and I stayed there with him while my friend test drove it.

How can I see if it has any tickets associated with it?

4. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

That isn't a driveway drop scratch, looks more like a lowspeed encounter with asphalt.

5. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

Yea I figured that out as well when I saw scratches on the exhaust pipe.

6. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

well other than the scratches its a good looking bike doesn't look like anything too much other than stuff modded for looks

7. ninor

ninor OT Supporter

I went ahead and bought it on Sunday for $3,100. :)

What stuff are modded for looks? I see cover on gas tank and the SV650S sticker is peeled off. Anything else?

8. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt New Member

go get rid of those chicken strips! : ]

9. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

I believe the turn signals are all aftermarket.

10. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

they are my roomate used to have one its got an fender eliminator and just looks like they took them out of the front

but conrats though enjoy it:hsd: