Buying an '03 ranger. Thoughts/things to look for?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by LiveSideways, Jul 26, 2008.

1. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

I'm buying my neighbors 03 ranger (2.3l... duratec, right?) and was wondering if there is anything I should check. He's an older dude, ridden with him a couple times and he grandmas it. 99,000 easy miles. When do these need timing belts/major maint? He said the only thing major hes had replaced was the fuel pump.

Dunno shit about trucks, thanks guys.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pass on it, imo.

3. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

4. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

IIRC, the Duratec is a V6; the 2.3 is a Lima-produced I-4. Good, solid motor.

5. LiveSideways

I thought it was the same duratec in the older focus? :(

EDIT:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4cylinders.html

He's offering it to me for $3400, and it looks new inside and out.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

u got it

7. LiveSideways

Do you own one? Think it's a decent deal? I just don't know about a ford product with 100k miles, but my buddy is assuring me the duratec is solid.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

assuming its an xlt with cd/ac/power win/locks then it books for only $3300. I wouldn't personally pay that, even... But my point is that you are not getting a good deal, anyway.

9. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

10. LiveSideways

Not sure where you're looking. Its a base (xl) with ac + tapedeck + shell.

[​IMG]

11. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

i think he should come down on the price a little... but rangers are solid long-lasting trucks. theyre no cadillac, but theyll keep on rolling. gets decent mileage, too

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

[​IMG]

I wouldn't pay more than between trade and private party for a used vehicle... And if this is supposed to be some "good deal" then it's really NOT.

Plus I never recommend buying vehicles from friends/neighbors.

btw, kbb is worthless.

13. LiveSideways

Gotcha. Thanks for the input.

This isn't supposed to be some insane deal. What it comes down to is that I need a small pickup to haul around my dirtbike, and all the other ones I've looked at on craigslist have been beat down and had an asking price of around 2k more. His really does look new, and it just comes down to $5k+ for a beat one off CL with no history, or one in excellent shape for $3.5 driven by a 67 year old man.

As far as buying from friends and family I accepted along time ago that shit will happen regardless of where the vehicle comes from, and not to hold grudges.

And I don't know how worthless KBB is, I just sold a beat down 95 corolla with 175k miles for $2200 on cl, hah. Edmunds said it was worth around $800, KBB $2400. I got 70 emails in the course of a week and had no problem finding a buyer for $2200 cash. Very similar situation with my 93 240 I sold... perhaps buyers around here are willing to pay KBB prices?

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

EDIT:

This is what i come up with from edmunds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's a bad purchase but you've already rationalized it. what do you want from us? In the end, it's your choice to make bad choices. do what makes you happy.

15. LiveSideways

I'm open for discussion and am just trying to find a truck to pull my dirtbike around, this guy hasn't done me any favors in life and I haven't signed any papers.

Which one of these would be a "good choice" in your book? My only requirements are clean, 5spd, and 4cyl (mpg).

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/car?query=ranger&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&addTwo=

Hence why I asked what people thought. If you can propose a better/more constructive resolution to my problem feel free. As far as I can tell I will not find a nicer truck for $3400. PERIOD. Point me in the right direction man.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You don't even have your priorities straight.

First of all, if it's a 2nd vehicle simply for hauling stuff around, then you do NOT really care about fuel economy. Secondly, if it's for hauling then you do care about having more power than dying kid on chemo.

You want a V6. Go get a S10 with the 4.3L V6. Their resale value sucks (good for you). Gas mileage is not terrible. They have plenty of power to haul a dirtbike. They're damn reliable and will turn over several hundred thousand miles. When something does go bad, it's generally inexpensive and easy to fix.

Sure I'd prefer a Frontier or Tacoma but then you're paying way more. When it comes to the "total package" a used s10 makes sense.

17. LiveSideways

MPG is super important to me, and I should have clarified my definition of hauling. I mean a 280lb dirt bike in the bed, no trailer or anything. This also isn't a second car, although a second vehicle. I ride a street bike and a dual sport and would like a car to fetch groceries and run errands in. I looked at a couple of S10s/Hombres and didn't see anything too nice. Most of the people around here buy them and slam them... probably a different crowd than Oregon.

I am keeping my eyes open and looking at lots of small trucks on CL, I just haven't come across anything that wasn't beat down by a bro that thought it was a prerunner or lowered and raced by a gang banger... In the $3,000 range at least.

I'd love a tacoma but around here there is somewhat of a "gardener premium" and I'd be lucky to get a pre 95 toyota pickup with a clean body and a 22re for 3k.

At the end of the day, I'm a 21 year old college student so clean looking and MPG are super important.

18. Sandjunkie

Sandjunkie New Member

Those have ALOT more problems than the duratec 4cyl Rangers. Common 4.3l problems, the ENTIRE cooling system because of Dex-Cool, esp. the heater core and that is a 10+ hr job, intake manifold gaskets, the Vortec injectors are regularly having issues, and the fuel pumps are crap. The TBI 4.3l were alot better in reliability but not the Vortec V6. The Duratec motor is a good motor, I beat the piss out of one for 100k miles with no hiccups. The trans behind the Duratec is fair but if you regularly check the fluid level in it you wont have issues. The weakest link on that truck is the rear axle, the Ford 7.5" is weak, ok on the road but nowhere else.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

crazy then how I've had two over 100k miles, one of which is 170k and counting. My buddy had one with 230k before he wrecked it.

I replaced a fuel pump at 150k for $350. Oh noes, so expensive. Injectors have been great, never replaced any of them.

btw, even the TBI was still a "vortec". vortec simply refers to the heads. They've been carb'd, tbi, cpi, sfi, cmfi, csfi.

There's a REASON you see old s10s still on the road in such high numbers.

as for the cooling system i wouldn't worry too much about it. one of my s10s was flushed and switched to conventional "green" coolant. The other was left with dexcool. If you're worried about it, flush and switch.

20. Sandjunkie

Sandjunkie New Member

Its just a common problem since GM used to call it a lifetime coolant and that caused alot of failures in the cooling system. Its very common to repair some part of the system out in the real world.

The L35 injection system, which I believe is CMFI is the problematic one. The spider injector has been a constant source of problem out here in California.

21. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I'd get a Ranger over a S10.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have a right to be wrong.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My two s10's were a '98 and '99 which i believe were CMFI.

I know others had issues but the assembly wasn't too terrible expensive. There was even instances of dealers doing it under "goodwill". Heck, they even sell replacement manifolds to get rid of the poppets.

24. Sandjunkie

Sandjunkie New Member

Well thats a relief because those poppets were crap. That and the plastic intake manifold gaskets that always end up leaking coolant. I hate doing them just because GM always puts it together so you have to remove half the accessory drive to get the intake off. But can't complain too much, GM definately helped my flat rate hours. :bigthumb:

25. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I don't know. The Ranger has been proven to be a pretty tough and reliable truck. I don't understand your blind hate, other than the fact that you are running around praising your Chevy's.
    If you do any research, you'll find that the Ranger has been alot more reliable than the S10. I'm glad yours are doing well for you, but the majority of people don't have the same experience.
    For the record, I don't own either of the trucks and could care less about Ford or GM.