buying a tool box...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JCab, Feb 9, 2006.

1. JCab

JCab New Member

what is a cheap tool box that last a really long time? i am talking about a roller cab

2. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

snap-on FTW.

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

average joe guide on how to buy snap-on tools.

1. sit in your car and stake out a reputable mechanic's shop starting from the time they open to the time they close.
    2. repeat step 1 at least a week (monday to friday)
    3. becareful not to miss a day because they only come once a week and for only a few minutes. yes those snap-on bastards are very elusive so don't blink your eyes.

4. once they stop the truck, ran out of your car and up into the truck and order your tools/toolboxes.

5. Repeat step 1 through 4 till your products arrived.

4. aznboi320

aznboi320 OT Supporter

craftsman

5. onepointone

onepointone New Member

snap-on FTW... but only if you work out of it.

i do, i spent the money, i DONT regret it...

6. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

yea snap on def. thats where i get mine

7. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

snap on box. But snap on tools ftl lately cause we cant get a freakin tool guy to show up more than once at our new shop. Freaking ass crap!

8. onepointone

onepointone New Member

wouldnt that make it "snap on guy ftl" ? :squint:

9. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Craftsman...cheap and still stores tools :bigthumb:

But if you have the extra money, Snap-on boxes are some of the best.

10. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I have a Snap On box.. If I had to do it again?
    I doubt I would have gone that route.
    It was great getting to make payments as I started the job, but in retrospect, I spent 3000.00 for a snap on box when I could have paid a 1/3 of that for a box that's just as good.

11. onepointone

onepointone New Member

would a craftsman store tools and serve its purpose? yes
    would it be "better" than a snap-on? no

it may be better to you in the fact it was cheaper, but it wouldnt be better in quality.

i watched a demo on the two from a snap-on dealer at the tech school i used to go to. they took a craftsman box and hit it in the side with a sludge hammer one time. none of the drawers would open anymore.

they took a similar snap-on box (nothing special, maybe a 3-4 grand box) and hit it 3 times in the same general area with the same sludge hammer, and all the drawers still opened. now what if something hits your box at work? all your tools are stuck in there and your cutting them out of your box.

also, craftsman boxes can be broken into very easily. the lock goes down the FRONT of the box all the ones ive seen (there may be some out there that dont, but i havent seen one). snap on boxes lock down the back of the drawer, and its some thick metal, that shit isnt going anywhere..

feel the latch on a craftsman box. it feels weak and flimsy. feel it on a snap-on, or even mac for that matter, and it just feels better.

its stuff like that that make the difference to me, atleast with something im working out of.

for at home, i would get a craftsman, but if its something you are going to be working in and out of as a job, your much better off getting a snap-on, just my opinion though...

12. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

we used snapon stuff while I was in the navy and they were nothing special. Tool boxes were meh.. tools were meh also. Cheaper tools that we used were basically same and some even lasted longer than snap-ons..

13. kos

kos New Member

Snapon Credit and truck credit ftw

14. kos

kos New Member

Snapon tool boxes are much better than Craftsman, they are welded better, thicker steel, the drawers have a better contruction and the ball bearings are much better. I've had both, and there is a big difference. Anyone who says that there isnt a difference between Snapon and Craftsman has never used them professionally on a day-to-day basis. For the average shade tree mechanic, a craftman toolbox will do just fine. Look for close out floor displays, they are usually marked down 50%

15. onepointone

onepointone New Member

Snap-on Credit ftl... 20% interest..:eek3: no thank you..

Truck Credit ftw.. no interest.

16. kos

kos New Member

Yeah, but with truck credit the payments are much higher then with snapon credit. Plus, snapon credit compared to a regular credit card or a sears card (for craftsman tools) is usually higher. The sears card is a fixed 26% or so.

17. onepointone

onepointone New Member

damn.. well for instance...

i went through a tech class in high school, as stated earlier in the thread. snap-on tools has a student program that gives students 40-60% off certain tools and tool boxes. i bought my box through that program ($3400 box, i got for $1400). that program also uses snap-on credit. i did a 2 year loan at 20% interest. the minimum payments were $7x.xx each month, but i payed no less than $100 each month, and usually it was $200+ each month. i wanted to get rid of that thing asap with 20% interest. the only reason i did that though, was even with that high ass interest rate, i still didnt pay as much as the box would of costed me straight out.

now i have another bill, which would be truck credit, and thats on all the tools that are in the box. i dont know the exact balance on that (i believe its over $600 still), but i pay 30-40 each week, but the minimum payments are $20/week. although, if i have a tight week, i ask if i can hit him next week, and hes never told me no. the truck credit is no interest, and i believe it doesnt really affect anything with your personal credit. atleast, it doesnt show up on my credit report. its just a 'loan' between you and your snap-on dealer.

and for the record. ive NEVER had a problem with tools being warrantied. i always use chrome 3/8" sockets with my impact, and ocassionally they break. he knows, and he always replaces them for me. ratches, if i use a bitch bar on them and bust them all to hell, no questions. picks, pry bars, ect, all no questions. i dont break alot of tools, which is why i do buy snap-on, but when they do break, i just wait for him to come to me, and i get new shit. and face it, when you use those same tools EVERY day, and beat the crap out of them to do your job, they will break eventually. to me, id rather pay for that extra service and that extra quality of tools.

-- damn, didnt mean to write a book...