A&P Buying a softbox for my speedlight, whats the biggest I can find?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 1992 240SX, Nov 27, 2009.

1. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

So the wind has taken care of most of my UM-brellas. At this point I was gonna buy a couple of more convertible ones. Then I thought, why not just get a softbox (I want softer light). Back when I originally searched for these there was like ONE company making them and it looked really cheaply made so I opted for umbrellas. Then I did a search on Ebay and found a few more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALZO-Large-Soft...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4d6a9ec

I was thinking of getting that, but figured I'd ask OTAP before I pulled the trigger. I want a really large light source and I feel like with a little weight the softbox will also resist the wind better than an umbrella does.

2. derekOT

derekOT New Member

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/62245-REG/Westcott_2334_Apollo_Softbox_with_Recessed.html

this one always gets praised

It has an umbrella shaft inside and pops open just like an umbrella

Instead of the flash firing directly forward, the flash bounces off the back of the softbox and through the front. This makes sure that the light is spread evenly.

3. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Yeah, that the one. You got a point with it hitting the light back and then letting it spread...that would avoid any hopspot. The other one is slightly bigger, thats why I was looking at it. Anyone have any experience with the two different types? I'm also taking into account that Im using the V4 Cactus Triggers, so I dunno how much interference the softbox is gonna cause if the flash is tucked away inside (the one I posted has it outside the box)...decisions decisions....

4. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

5. derekOT

derekOT New Member

hahaha no kidding!
    just put zack arias on the thread title and you're good to go

in all seriousness, it is time to drop those cactus triggers!
    yongnuo ctr 301p or yongnuo rf 602 have been getting raves on the interweb for their reliability and distance capabilities

So far I am loving my rf 602s, they also fire remote cameras straight out of the box!