Buying a Scion xB tomorrow

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sierraelement, May 6, 2005.

1. It's an '05, but used w/ ~6k on it. I feel kind of strange about it, though -- here's why. The Scion xB is marketed towards the 16-28 year old singe male as an easily customizable vehicle. That's who I'm buying it from and that's pretty much all I've seen driving them, too. I'm pretty much out of that demographic -- 34 years old, married for 14 years with a 3rd and 6th grader. I know I shouldn't care what others think as long as I like it, but I've bagged on the ricers for quite some time now. I guess I just don't want to be viewed as one of those old timers trying to look cool by driving a kid's car. I currently drive a '96 3/4 ton Suburban 6.5 liter turbo diesel with a big manly brush guard and nerf bars. I no longer have the need for such a huge vehicle as I've sold the boat I towed with it and definitely want something that gets better gas mileage. The car has even been slightly customized w/ 18" low profiles and cool rims, a pinstripe flame job, and dual 10" speakers w/ amp which I'll more than likely be taking out of the back to free up storage space for baseball and football gear -- not to mention groceries and such. I'll also be "modding" it for more practical use, such as adding cruise control, a center arm rest and a luggage rack. I can confidently say that I am way past the cruising and buying a cool car to impress people stage of my life, but this seems to be a compromise between looking cool and functionality. I guess we'll see -- hope I don't regret it.

I'll post a pic in a few days.

cliffs: old guy buying a kid car, don't wanna look like a dork

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chevy aveo....

the scions arn't doing to well in the reliability department.

as for what people think, screw em. Scion itself isn't doing as well for the younger generation as you'd think. More middle-aged (35-50) adults are seeing the value in these cars.

3. vvtisupra

vvtisupra New Member

who says scions aren;t doing well in reliability ? If you compare the call backs between any us company and scion it makes scion look like a toyota... OH NOW I REMEMBER. IT is. I want an XB as a commuter. If I were you i'd scrap the 18's and rock the 15 low offset old school mesh wheels not only does that break the general US KID FAD BIGGER IS BETTER SUNKEN IN GAY WHEELS, but it will also help in gas mileage. Either way going from a 6.5 turbo deisle to a ULEV 1.5 liter engine your wallet will bless you. Oh yah the car looks like a little toy but when you get inside you'll find it super roomy. I loved sitting in it. It looks liek it'd be a good road trip car

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, the aveo has fewer problems per 100 than the scion xB... nice try tho :mamoru: Scion as a whole is having reliability problems, and Toyota is just riding on their name, at this point. Unfortunatly, reputations are hard-dying, so chevy has the short end of the stick, and toyota is raking it in, even tho chevy improves every year, and toyota just slacks off.

5. vvtisupra

vvtisupra New Member

hahaha but the aveo is just plain shit hahah its only good for tray sliding and reverse dohnuts

6. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

look at what the problems where from JD power, shit like ac is not cold fast enough, and harsh ride, with some noise is not mechanical problems like you will find in that daewoo

7. That's a big reason I'm buying it now as opposed to later in the year -- making a road trip to the east coast. With the luggage in the cargo carrier on top there should be plenty of room for the creature comforts inside -- portable dvd player, game boys, small ice chest, etc... Plus when the kids get sleepy when I'm driving through the night they can lay the back seats down and make a bed.

Also I always thought that a taller tire/rim combo would give you better gas mileage. In my mind it makes sense that way -- the tire has to make fewer revoloutions to go the same distance as a shorter tire. Granted it probably won't make a huge difference, but over a long trip I should be able to see a mile or two more per gallon.:x: Am I wrong???

8. vvtisupra

vvtisupra New Member

the total rotational size should remain the same. Usually wth 18's you have a smaller sidewall depending on itds width im guession you are running a 205/40/18 or something along those lines. Generally you want to get as close t othe stock rotational size as possible because they've done their math on gear ratios to maximize acceleration as well as overal rotations per minute etc. however the smaller, better quality wheels will be a lot lighter. SHould be a good 10+ lb difference and that will take off ~40 lbs of unsprung weight and rotational mass. Also the taller sidewalls will give you a better commuting feel. I had a picture of a Toyota BB aka Scion XB in japan where it had some fender flairs and some really nice low offset small diameter wheels to fill out the fenders it came out with this type of effect
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  9. Got it! We cut a deal on the 18's, though. He put the stock ones back on and knocked a chunk off the price. To tell the truth, even though I liked the looks, I was really worried about the ride quality. I live out in the country and some of those county roads are crap. I could just see myself hitting a pot hole and bending a rim and/or blowing the tire. Maybe I'll just look for some 15" aftermarket rims and keep the stock tires.

Without sounding like too much of a moron, how do I post a picture of it I've saved on my desktop? I'm using Firefox as my browser. When I click on "insert image" a window pops up that tells me to insert a url of my image.

10. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

you need to upload the pics to the internet, in this site their is an upload section on the top and then copy the link

11. Echoratz

Echoratz New Member

nm to late

12. here it is -- the pinstripe flames are painted, not tape -- they are white w/ yellow tips

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not my cup of tea but if it gets the job done then :bigthumb:

14. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I mostly see older people driving one.. I was looking at them and my wife said NO.. sO I might get an Element for my next family car :noes:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OMFG NO!!!

Look at the Chevy HHR... it's gonna be schweet.

16. Y2kAccord

I dont buy domestics and I dont want a Chevy PT cruiser :mamoru:

17. level99

level99 Guest

its an ugly ass car in my opinion, but I respect that some people find them appealing. my friend wanted 1 at 1 point. as far as only young ppl. not really, I see more old ppl driving them.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ignorance is bliss :mamoru:

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i used that exact line earlier today :hs:

20. Y2kAccord

With GM quality you go ahead and buy a car that wont even last 100k miles without falling apart.
    I dont like the PT Cruiser when chrysler did it and I surely dont like the PT cruiser when Chevy is doing it.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you actually LOOK at the HHR, then you'll see it's not a PT. In fact, it holds very true to the original Suburban.

Also, if you want a truck, nothing beats the 2500HD Duramax. Those things don't even get broken-in until 100k miles, let alone last FOREVER.

And I promise you that every new chevy will last just as long as anything that TOYota is putting out.

22. Y2kAccord

It was designed by the same guy who designed the PT cruiser, design cues are shared between the two.

I dont want to spend 40-50k for a 2500HD Duramax truck.. if I wanted a truck I would get a Titan, but I am looking for something inexpensive and practical.. the Element the interior can be scrubbed down top to bottom, this is handy when you have kids,
    Lots of room, same with xB.

I am also depending on price I can find one for in about 12-14 mos might look into an Audi A3

I dont think GM got 1.5 BILLION in debt in just 3 mos putting out quality stuff :mamoru:

23. Y2kAccord

Tell me these look nothing alike.. its obvious designed by the same person, they arent twins, but are similar enough for my tastes

shape of windows, fender flares, and headlight areas etc are similar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you really just need to go see one in person... they are VERY different. I hate the PT cruiser with a pashion, but the HHR is a sweet ride.

25. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

if the HHR has an LS2 in it, I'd go for it...

it looks cool, but i think it'll be just as bad as the H2 :hs: