GUN Buying a pistol vs. Cabela's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SNDP, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SNDP

SNDP New Member

So, took my dad to Cabela's because he had never been to one. We went to he one on Lehi, and he decided to buy a pistol. It was 1:30 on a frigging Thursday afternoon. Now their gun counter is always underfriggingstaffed but today there were more salespeople that customers at the counter.

There were 5 people behind the counter, 2 were by the 2 registers shuffling papers around, one guy was wandering around back and forth behind the counter, end to end, over and over, trying to look busy. The other two were standing behind the counter showing people guns. One guy that was clearly there before us trying to get help, told us, "I think they met their quota for the month, I can't get any help'. I swear to god the guy doing laps behind the counter back and forth looked RIGHT AT US every time he went by, but never addressed us once. We waved a bit, said hey, he was just oblivious and kept on making tracks behind the counter.

So, once one of the girls behind the gun register stopped shuffling papers long enough to look up at us, she was about 30 feet away tops. I flat out started waving my arms and said loud enough for her to hear me " CAN WE GET SOME HELP DOWN HERE" ?!. I swear to Christ she just rolled her eyes and went back to shuffling papers around the register.

My dad, the guys standing next to us all just looked at each other with a collective "WTF" look. None of the other sales people behind the counter even looked up when we did that. So I went over and told the guys looking at the guns that I was just at Sportsman's warehouse and they had the exact same guns for $150 less and we left. Won't be going back.

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Complain to upper management next time. They dont get paid on commission so they dont give a shit.

3. Luciano

Luciano Guest

Every cabelas ive been in is like that. Its the guitar center of the sports world.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Sportsmans Warehouse FTW

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Cabela's/Gander Mountain/big box chain stores FTMFL

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I went to the Cabela's in Lehi when it first opened asking about an AR15 and had the same kind of experience. I complained to management and they said they'd take care of it. I came back about a week later to actually buy an AR15 and the same thing happened.

I guess they didn't need that $1,200.

7. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I always get great service at Sportsman's. Bass Pro isn't too bad either.

8. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Bass Pro FTW.

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I wish we had some Bass Pro's around here.

10. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

The one I went to in Reno was cool

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I've been to the Cabelas here that opened last year a handful of times. I havent tried to buy any guns, but I didnt have any issues with any of the employees there. Most of them asked if I needed help. 1 time, I couldnt find something I was looking for. I saw some guy putting some stuff away, walked up to him and asked. He helped me no problem.

Maybe it's the way you guys carry yourself... They figure you're just looking and not buying so :jerkit:. :dunno:

I dont know how your store is setup, but the one here, they are right behind the counter. Walk right up and ask to see something. Not stand 30ft away and wave....

12. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

Wait until the 40ish, heavyset guy with the goatee starts telling you about how he used to own an AK-47 with 3 rnd. burst that a dealer traded to him, straight across, for a MAC 11.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

lol wtf? that happened to you at the Lacey one? :confused:

I havent been there since ~nov or dec. It's about 45 mins away. Too far for me. Unless I go fishing by it, i dont bother. Prices arent even low, considering the volume of shit they have.

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I had a similar experience at Bass Pro. Took a number, waited 20 minutes with no number progression... dropped my number on the ground and just left.

Those big stores are fun to walk around in and peruse but suck when it comes to service, IMO.

15. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

It's about the same distance for me...I'm in Puyallup. But they usually have my reloading stuff in stock, so I don't have much choice if I want it right away.