Buying a New receiver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C-Lord, Jan 14, 2005.

1. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

I have an old sony reveiver with pro logic 1 and no optical inputs. Will upgrading to a new reveiver with pro logic 2 and optical inputs make its sound much better even though i will be using the my old sony speakers with it?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you have a DVD player to hook up to it, then yes. If not, then it wont make that much of a difference.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

How does the dvd player affect it?

All else being equal (i.e. no change in cables or source components, just the receiver), and if the receiver is higher sound quality (newer doesn't always equal better, often times it is the reverse in audio) then your speakers should sound better. Not by a lot, but it very well may be noticeable.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the DVD player would affect it because the signal would be utilizied by ur reciver. The sound on DVDs (5.1 DTS or whatever) would be used by your reciever well, but if ur not getting a theatre sound signal or whatever u wanna call it, then yeah, thats how it affects it.

your speakers will also sound better if they are getting their proper wattage, so a more powerrful reciever will make a difference.

5. 04

04 Guest

IMO upgrading the speakers would be the best choice if you're looking to get better sound. True, you'll get better surround performance with a new receiver, but if you're dissapointed with your speakers right now, no amplifier or source component is going to be able to make the sound better than a new set of speakers.

Also, are you using 2 speakers, or an entire 5.1 set? If you're only using two, IMO there is no reason to upgrade to a new receiver, as it wont make the sound noticably better compared to what a new pair of speakers can do.

6. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

well i upgraded to a $300 5.1 yahama system. It blows my 6 year old $300 5.1 sony away..

I dont have much money and i really wanted optical inputs for my ps2,xbox,dvd, cable box.. so it worked out good for me thanks guys