A&P Buying a new point and shoot camera, need some advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BiscuitsNgroovy, Dec 10, 2007.

1. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

I'm currently looking to get a new point and shoot camera. I currently have a Sony cybershot 7.2 megapixel that I just really dislike. It is to bulky for me and I can never seem to get it to do what I want. Plus I hate the dial with all of the different shooting modes because I've had a lot of problems with it randomly changing scenes.

The 3 cameras I'm thinking are the following. Most of the photos I take are just of friends at bars and such, but I do enjoy doing some other photography from time to time.

Canon PowerShot SD750 - This was my old camera that broke and was replaced by the Sony. I loved this thing and wouldn't mind going back to it.
    250$

Canon PowerShot SD870 - This looks is a 100$ upgrade to the 750 with more zoom (3.8 vs 3.) and 1 more megapixel. (8.0 vs. 7.0) I don't really care much about the extra megapixel but the added zoom is nice, but I'm not sure if its worth 100$ extra.
    350$
    Panasonic Luminx DMC-TZ3K- This camera just sounds amazing. 7.2 megapixel, with 10x OPTICAL zoom. On a point and shoot thats just unbeatable, however I've never used a panasonic camera and I really don't want to deal with the same frustrations I've dealt with while using my Sony camera.
    250-300$

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

canon g9 seems to be a very popular camera

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

you must have the w7 :mamoru:

if you dont want bulky go with the SD870. the IS (image stabilization) is worth the extra $100.

the panny's full zoom only works at 2mp. at 7.2mp you get 3x zoom.

4. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

Good to know, I guess Panasonic is out of the picture then. Do all of the Canon's lack manual exposure controls? I seem to remember I was able to do some stuff with the SD750, but in all the reviews I'm reading of the various types it is constantly listing that as a downside to them.

5. eof

eof New Member

I like the Nikon S700 for a small camera it is nice. :dunno:

6. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

i'd stay away from sony p&s cameras. they take crappy pics imo.