Buying a new PC??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awdboost, May 21, 2007.

1. awdboost

awdboost New Member

Hey guys well heres the story. My girlfriend's mother is buying her a computer within the next week. She has a $1200 budget which I think is a pretty damn good to spend on a computer.

I think the computer will be used basically for internet, typing term papers, dling music, some programs for schools(not too crazy programs which take up tons of space), saving photos, and listening to music. If I find out more I will post. She wants tons of memory and a fasting running processor.

I know basically every computer company makes computer that do this, bit any recommendations that fit the $1200 budget and will do what I listed. Also any computer to stay away from will do great. :bigthumb:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stay away from dell, gateway, compaq, hp, acer, etc.

For a desktop, just go to a reputable local shop and have them build you one. Use quality components such as genuine Intel motherboard, Corsair memory, Enermax power supply, NEC DVD-RW drive, Seagate hard drive, etc.

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

$1200 seems like MORE than enough for what she is looking for. You could probably accomplish that for $700 in a desktop. You didn't mention any use that would be a "resource hog".

4. Create

Create :free at last:

This is either an very good or very bad suggestion. It all depends on the shop.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

$700 will buy you a computer that works well enough right now. $1200 is more like what you'd need to spend to get a computer that still works well in a couple of years.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hence my inclusion of the word "reputable".

7. deusexaethera

I think the bottom line on buying prebuilt machines is: don't buy a cheap one, but don't buy the one that a traveling Business Development executive would buy either -- buy one that the BD guy's IT technician would give him. If you don't know what that is, find an IT technician and ask them what they buy for their BD guys. Why do this? Because BD guys usually know just enough about computers to be very, very dangerous, and IT techs HATE to have to service BD guys' laptops, so they try to give them ones that can stop a bullet without breaking down.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If you live anywhere near a Microcenter, I'd recommend going there.

You could get a good quality Power Spec computer with printer, widescreen lcd and a warranty for $1200.

9. Create

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I don't agree. For what he wants to use the computer for...?

I bought a computer 4 years ago with XP and installed Office 2003. It still works fine today...for what I bought it for.

Over time, the only reasons you need to buy a faster/new computer is if you upgrade to newer versions of software of your usage habbits change.

Papers...e-mail...internet...downloading music...you should be fine. Besides, you could spend $600 now (half of the $1200) and buy a decent machine now, then spend the other $600 in 2-3 years on a new machine that will last another 2-3 years. If you spend $1200 now, you certainly won't be using that machine in 6 years.

I only see a need to spend $1,000+ on a machine if you actually need the processing power. Graphics designer/video editing/gamer/etc.

11. Create

$800-$1k is the price/perf sweet spot. If you actually knew the market you'd probably stop giving shitty advice.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd:

cheap-ass machines are shitty from day-1. They can be used to type documents and be rediculously slow and annoying... But they will never be good.

Spend the money and get something decent. A decent computer a few years from now will beat a cheap computer at the time.

13. awdboost

awdboost New Member

Sorry for updating so late.

Well before I got a chance to get my girlfriend ya's advice, her mother went out and got her a Dell. I'll post the link later, I forgot which model she got. Nice computer I think.

14. Create

Almost impossible

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Indeed.

"Nice" usually does not describe dell.

16. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I spent $600 (I guess it would have been $750 if I had to buy an OS) recently on a computer. 3ghz P4 in the new LGA775 socket, 2GB DDR2, 250GB hard drive, 256mb video card, and Intel Desktop board. I also have a DVD read drive and a DVD writer drive. Antec case, and a wireless card. Stable as a concrete slab, and even at $750, it would be a good buy IMO. Newegg.com is the only thing you need for computer parts.

17. deusexaethera

All valid points in theory, but you can't assume that the user's needs won't change. If this is their only computer, it's almost a given that their needs WILL change, whereas in your situation the machine you bought was probably a second or third, and was therefore unlikely to bear the brunt of whatever increased workload you conjured up for your personal computer lab.