buying a new computer, need suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by prowler09, Nov 2, 2005.

1. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

I am a feshman in college and now that I am in and about to finish my first semester, I want to get my own computer over christmas break.
    I know a little about computers, of course, but Ive never had to buy one. I need something with a lot of space to hold images and music and stuff. I also need it to have a lot of memory so I can run programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver. I don't know if I can get all this in a laptop, but it would be better so I don't have to keep it in the room. ...and it needs to be a good work computer because I am going to have all kinds of hw and projects and stuff as you know.
    Also, what is a good processor to look for?
    I know there are some people here that can help me with this. Any links or descriptions would be great...Thanx in advance guys. 8)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  2. ski

ski New Member

If you want a laptop thats decently powerful and still mobile, look into ibm r-series. I started with an r40, and have since had an r51 and an r52 with no issues whatsoever.

For storage, grab a 200g external for movies and music.

3. lazyjk

lazyjk Uncle Sam wants you for the NEW Freedom Fighters!!

Plenty of workhorse laptops out there, that will do everything a desktop will do, except they are pricier.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 and I am able to have Photoshop going, burn a dvd, download movies, and still play minesweeper:mamoru:

You can definately find a laptop that will do whatever you need it to do, just have to be willing to pay more.

PCworld reviews workhorse models, you might want to check them out

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Another vote for the IBM. They're good machines, and you should be able to get a student discount (we get 12.25% off the list price here).

5. samm

samm Next in Line

You didn't mention games, so I will suggest a powerbook.

6. ski

ski New Member

:eek3::run:

7. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

:riaa:

I'm personally a HUGE fan of IBM. I own an IBM Thinkpad 600E. P2 366MHz, NeoMagic MagicGraph 256AV video (Which can do D3D and OpenGL but never had any 3D drivers, I've hacked it into D3D mode for a few games), 288MB of RAM, a 10GB HD, and Windows 2000 Pro.

The video chip issues drive me nuts. I can safely tell you that if this machine was, say, a Dell or Toshiba from the same era, I would have junked it already.

But my IBM is such a sheer joy to use, it's fast, stable, small, light, built like a tank, and above all, an ergonomic dream.

Even though the IBM Thinkpads are now designed and made by Lenovo, Lenovo acquired the exact same engineers from IBM. Same laptop. Same quality. Just made in China, not Canada/Mexico now.

Asus makes excellent laptops, as does HP and Compaq.

In the old days, HP and Compaq sucked, but as of now they are pretty much the highest quality machines you can buy in-store.

Dells, on the other hand, are crap. My father's Inspiron 300m looks, feels, and is built like a fucking toy, but it is stable.

HOWEVER, my friend Erik has a different model from the same era, as does his friend. And they lock up TO HIGH HELL under load!

You can actually see the CPU fan inside the unit. Looks like a ghetto mini copper Zalman ripoff. But this fucking thing ain't enough, and it locks up so severly and frequently he has a lot of trouble multitasking.

And the Dell TrueMobile Mini-PCI wireless cards are among the worst ever made, every one I've dealt with drops connections for no reason. I've dealt with five of them, varying in age, from brand-new to two years old. They all suck horribly.

On the other hand, their TrueMobile 2300 router is the most stable router I've ever laid my hands on. Since we got it, it has only needed a reset once, and it was because my father put a box under it and blocked the vents, causing it to overheat!

8. ski

ski New Member

IBM > *

9. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

ight, so ibm's are good. what store sells these? they dont have em at bestbuy, circuitcity, or samsclub. am i going to have to buy it offline?

10. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

another +1 for ibm, you simply wont get a better mass produced notebook.

Asus makes some great notebooks also, proportable.com is a good site if you want to go that route.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yes, if you're not planning to game a lot on it (which you shouldn't be planning to do on a Laptop anyway, really), then a PowerBook or iBook is an excellent choice.

12. darnit

darnit New Member

side note:
    You can actually see the CPU fan inside the unit. Looks like a ghetto mini copper Zalman ripoff. But this fucking thing ain't enough, and it locks up so severly and frequently he has a lot of trouble multitasking.

Sounds like heatsink needs to be reseated with some new paste. Had the same symptoms.

13. ski

ski New Member

And if you get an IBM I can tell you how to take it apart :eek5:

Fun.