Buying a laptop with a graphics card is now an imperative?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

So I'm looking at buying myself a laptop, it will have to last me until the the release of Windows '8' ( ie: the post Windows 7 era).

Here are the spects of the machine I am considering:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147750/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended

£560 UK sterling
    Toshiba Satellite Pro U400-130

Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz
    3 GB / 8 GB (max) DD2 800mhz
    Mobile Intel GM45 Express onboard graphics
    1340 MB Max Video Memory
    13.3" TFT 1280 x 800
    Intel WiFi Link 5100

I'm gonna swap the internal wifi card for an Atheros AR5008 Wireless 802.11N :naughty:

Whats worrying me is the new Microsoft OSs really require a dedicated graphics card, but this causes a significant increase of budget.

The OSs I'll be running are XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu, other OSs off live USB drives.

Uses are graphics friendly, no films or games, just coding, virtual machines, and as a server.

Wondering what you think about trying to run Windows 7 on such a machine, is 1340 MB Video Memory enough for a good performance? Since the machine can use upto 8gb RAM, I'm thinking this may not infact be a problem.

Any opinions are welcomed :)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You don't need a dedicated graphics card for your needs.

That being said, Toshibas suck.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Great generalization :rolleyes:. Why do you say this?

Is anyone running the beta of windows 7 using onboard graphics? Are you able to run all of it's features well within capacity? How's about in a virtual environment? Performance of that and the host both up to speed?

Thanks.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Because I've warrantied about 50% of all Toshibas our company owns. They have some overheating problems that still plague the brand.

My own personal laptop has been in the shop 3 times. Suffice it to say, you get what you pay for.

You can ask anyone in IT, Toshiba and Acer and bottom of the barrel laptops.

Now, back to your question, if you don't need to play games, or do 3D animation, onboard is fine. Why? Because the "features" you speak of aren't hard on the graphics card. Virtualization is more about CPU management (thus the reason you normally virtualize a server with bare minimum graphic cards).

5. OFI

OFI New Member

What's wrong with Acers? :hs:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

They fall apart easily and have some horrible OEM software (which granted can be wiped...).

7. OFI

OFI New Member

Yea it did come with a fuck load of software pre-installed :mamoru:

Although I have left most of the system stuff on as I can't see any better alternatives (CPU speed control, sound card control etc)

Hope it doesn't fall apart :noes:

8. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

I had a couple of college friends go through the motions with their Toshiba laptops. Motherboard failures and overheating issues all around. Plus they just look and feel like junk.

Ouch. That hurts :wtc:

I have an Acer, bought back in early 2007. Chassis flex borders on ridiculous and the casing's uber-cheap, but it runs well and haven't had any problems with it. :x:

9. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

I'm not running onboard graphics*, but I surmise that running 7 Aero itself on GMA won't be a problem at all. It's when you start running graphics-intense stuff that you'll be shit out of luck. In other words, you don't need a dedicated card to run Windows 7.

10. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Nice one that's good to hear. The one I'm now looking at is also a Toshiba, but come with a 3 year warranty as standard which is appealing.

There is a sony one also, but sony's seem to have some issues running Ubuntu, it's all such a nightmare.

11. OFI

OFI New Member

All of the Sonys I have seen look nice but are always overpriced. I have always found same spec elsewhere for less. I do like the screens they tend to use though.

My screen is pretty useless in direct sunlight heh..

12. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Also, consider upgrading the screen. Higher resolution = more screen real estate which would help alot with coding...

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That laptop won't last you that long. Imagine if you'd bought a laptop halfway through Windows 2000's lifetime, saying it would have to last you until Vista came out.

...right.

14. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

windows 8? thats like another 6-7 years........