Buying a laptop -- iBook vs. Powerbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nick X, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Nick X

Nick X Guest

All right, so I've already decided I want the 12" in either one b/c they are more portable and work really nice in class. I just want your guys' opinions on which laptop+configuration I should get.

iBook: 1.2 Ghz, 1.2 GB PC266, 100GB 4200 RPM HDD, Combo drive

Price: $1400

Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB PC333, 60GB 5400 RPM HDD, Combo drive

Price: $1400

I'm getting this through my school so they give us discounts in case you were wondering.

I'm seriously leaning towards the Powerbook with the default configuration (and just saving up my $$ to upgrade) because of the video memory. I've read that since the iBook only has 32 MB it will have problems with Tiger because of "CoreImage".

So what do you guys suggest? Go with the Powerbook or with the totally upgraded iBook?

2. inamorata

inamorata New Member

powerbook and max out that memory

or do what i did, use the 512 til it feels slow, then max it out, itll feel like a huge upgrade, it keeps the laptop feeling new.

but with a 1.5 i DOUBT it will feel slow anytime soon

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

PowerBook

4. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

Powerbook - the only thing I'd wanna upgrade would be the RAM and get a superdrive :big grin:

5. Nick X

Nick X Guest

That was actually a question I forgot to ask. Do you think the Superdrive is worth the extra $100? I really like the idea of burning gigs worth of movies, data, etc, but don't know if it's worth it (when I can use CD-Rs).

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

PowerBook with SuperDrive.

The processor and max RAM speed are things you can't really upgrade in a powerbook.

The hard drive size and RAM amount are the only two areas the iBook wins between the two machines you listed. 60 GB will last you for a good long while. If you get to a point where you want to upgrade down the road, you can do so fairly easily. Same goes for RAM.

In addition, the PowerBook includes Airport Extreme (WiFi), Bluetooth (Bluetooth 2.0 at that), and Gigabit Ethernet. These may not be things you'll use right away, but if you don't now, you most likely will find them useful once you have them. I use bluetooth to sync my mobile phone(s) with Address Book and iCal on my Mac. There are tons of other uses.

PowerBook with SuperDrive. Hands down in this case.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

exactly!