GUN Buying a handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by puppeteer107, Oct 16, 2006.

1. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

It's probably a mad repost, but can I buy a handgun at a gun show in VA if I get it from a WV dealer there? I'm a WV residence and from what I've read you can't buy a handgun in a state you're not a resident in. And packing.org is loading mad slow so I haven't looked there yet :o

2. mvizos

mvizos New Member

You'll have to buy it from a dealer in your state of residence. I don't think you'll see a WV dealer at a VA gun show, but I could be wrong.

3. striker754

striker754 Chillin

rifles you can in some states that allow it, handguns no

4. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:werd: I should have specified. I know VA can buy longguns in WV, and vice versa, but no go on the handguns.

5. puppeteer107

Not even from a dealer from WV? From what I've read I need to buy a handgun from a dealer in my state of residence. I don't know how it would be a problem doing it at a VA gunshow, his FFL and all the paperwork would be WV :dunno:

6. mvizos

mvizos New Member

If you found a WV dealer at a VA gunshow, sure.

But..Why would there be a WV dealer at a VA gunshow? Since a lot of those people are going to be VA residents, not WV residents. Hit up http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

I guess the real question is, why not just buy it from a WV dealer? It's not like you're going to get some great deal at a gunshow (usually)

7. puppeteer107

The gun show I'm going to is only like an hour from the WV border so there's always a few guys there who make the trip. And the closest gun store in WV is like 70 miles away, and I'd much rather go through a gun show :o

8. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I like going to gun shows, but I'm always let down. Personally, I prefer buying from a shop, just because I know the guy, and know he's going to be around. Most of the stuff at the gun show I usually go to is HIGHER than his normal prices, which makes it easier too.

edit: What gun show are you going to?

9. puppeteer107

October 28th in Roanoke. I feel that whole buying from a shop but there are no real gun stores around me, just outdoors hunting shops that have a few rifles on hand and can order whatever you want. I like the ability to see the guns and feel them in person at gun shows. And there's always more of a selection at a gun show :o

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

To get direct to the point: You can NOT legally walk out of that gun show with a handgun.

(C10) May a person obtain a dealer's license to engage in business only at gun shows?[Back]

No. A license may only be issued for a permanent premises at which the license applicant intends to do business. A person having such license may conduct business at gun shows located in the State in which the licensed premises is located and sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to other licensees at any location.

[18 U.S.C. 923(a) and (j)]

F2) May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State? [Back]

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

(F12) May licensed dealers sell firearms at gun shows? [Back]

Generally, a licensee may sell firearms at a gun show located only in the same State as that specified on the seller’s license. However, a licensee may sell curio or relic firearms to another licensee at any location.

[18 U.S.C. 923(j), 27 CFR 478.100]

(F13) What may a licensed dealer do at an out-of-State gun show? [Back]

A licensed dealer may sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to another licensee at an out-of-State gun show. With respect to other firearms transactions, a licensed dealer may only display and take orders for firearms at an out-of-State gun show. In filling any orders for firearms, the dealer must return the firearms to his or her licensed premises and deliver them from that location. Any firearm ordered by a non-licensee must be delivered or shipped from the licensee's premises to a licensee in the purchaser's State of residence, and the purchaser must obtain the firearm from the licensee located in the purchaser’s State. Except for sales of curio or relic firearms to other licensees, sales of firearms and simultaneous deliveries at the gun show, whether to other licensees or to non-licensees, violate the law because the dealer would be unlawfully engaging in business at an unlicensed location.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1), (b)(3), 923(a) and (j)]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  11. puppeteer107

:cool::hs: That's exactly what I needed to see. It's too bad it's exactly what I didn't want to see.

12. Furner

Furner New Member

possibly they have transfered some items off their books onto a friends books who is licensed in VA. That way they can get their money and still sell, as well as represent their business for WV residents.