GUN Buying a Garand from CMP?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JonDaAzn, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

I'm planning on buying and restoring a Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (semi-govt program selling surplus firearms)

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

I'm looking at buying the field grade springfield, has anyone bought from them before, or have any tips?

2. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

ONe guy here JUSt got done with all the paperwork. Hopefully he will chime in. I guess it was a bit of a pain in teh ass, but well worht it in the end.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think theres a couple people here who have ones on the way from CMP, I got mine by other means but there awesome rifles :bigthumb: A friend got a service grade one that was in pretty nice condition.

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Anyone got a rack grade?

This may be enough of a reason for me to apply for citizenship.

5. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

I'm excited to get the ball rolling on my order, my dad was certified by the NRA as a small arms instructor (he's going to purchase it, and transfer it to me) would that count under the whole "firearm competency" thing?

The whole affiliated clubs thing confuses me too, do I actually have to go to meetings and stuff, or can I just get a card and buy the rifle?

:i was looking around the forums and it seems like its a hit or miss with the rack grades, but springfield will rebarrel them for 200$

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Someone posted a link to an online garand collectors thing that qualifies for the club thing, no meetings required maybe someone still has it and can post it again. I dunno how the rack grades are the service grades I've seen looked pretty good, other then needing to get the stock refinished, maybe worth it to spend the extra off the bat and get service grade :dunno:

7. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

I have a Service grade HRA M1 garand that I purchased from CMP a couple of years ago. I'd highly recommend that for a first M1 that you look at a Service grade. Overall, they're cosmetically dinged but the throat erosion under 5 and the metal was pretty good. The only problem is that there is a 60-90 day wait for Service grades right now.

However, if you plan on doing a full rebuild then there is nothing wrong with a Field or Rack grade.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

I purchased a Service Grade Springfield M1 Garand from CMP, I sent my paperwork in 2 weeks ago and received my order confirmation today. Despite what the website says, CMP is so backed up with orders that you can expect 90 to 120 days for a Service Grade and 60 to 90 days for a field grade. They receive the rifles and then have to go through each and every one to grade them, and with hundreds of rifles on hand with as many orders waiting to be filled they have to go through and grade each and every one of them.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

How old are you? If you're 18, then you can do it all yourself.

All you need is a membership card from a club affiliated with CMP, just photocopy your membership card and include it with the rest of your paperwork. I joined the Florida Sport Shooting Association (FSSA) to satisfy this requirement.

I took an NRA pistol course about a month ago and received a certificate of completion for it, I just photocopied the certificate and that was good enough to satisfy the requirement for proof of actively participating in shooting sports and whatnot.

You should get a service grade or at the very least a field grade. The money you would spend to get a rack grade re-barreled could have gotten you a service grade right off the bat. If you know you're going to be doing a lot of shooting with it, then definitely get something higher than just a rack grade.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

It's higher than that right now unfortunately :wtc:.

CMP is so backed up.

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

which club did you guys find? I cant find one in my area.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Most people who can't find a club in their area join the Garand Collectors Association (GCA).

www.garandcollectors.org

13. Furner

Furner New Member

do they ship right to you? or do you still have to work through an FFL?

14. Accord

Accord New Member

They ship it directly to you, no FFL's involved.

15. Furner

Furner New Member

sweet....$395 for a field grade, i might go for this!