Buying a Custom PC case - suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Jan 31, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Ok - i build computers - i work with them - i am not a 'nerd' who overclocks and all that - but i love how cheap you can find cool pc cases. When i built this computer i got set up as an mp3 server downstairs in the living room of my house at college - i built it with some good stuff - it has a black case with a silver front - it was the first year i EVER saw computer cases available in other colors than beige or white!

So needless to say - it is need of a cosmetic overhaul. But i don't have time to do it myself (and believe me - i do fiberglassing of subwoofer boxes for my car - i know how to do those $2000-$3000 projects for your car - that use the same techniques to customize a pc case)

So i wana know - where can i find some good cheap pc cases? i want one that looks good in the front - no PS needed - i got my own. price wise - looking at up to $35 or so

2. cassetti

cassetti New Member

oh - note i like ones that have a cool look to them with a front htat opens up to reveal the drive bay's

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

still waiting for a "good" case. All you have posted so-far is crap.

Cooler Master CM Stacker
    Cooler Master WaveMaster
    Lian Li PC60
    Lian Li 6070
    Lian Li V1200
    Lian Li V2000
    Silverstone TJ02
    Silverstone TJ04
    Silverstone TJ05
    Silverstone TJ06
    Silverstone LC03

And *none* of them fit your budget. But they're awsome cases ;)

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Jolly, those cases weigh upwards of ten fucking pounds! No one in their right mind would buy one of those with that setup.

Hey, you also seem to have forgotten where cases sit...On the floor! It's not a car, it doesn't have an engine or wheels.

I just bought an MGE Viper case yesterday, and It's not built like THAT, thank God. I'd rather lug my PC there in a PowMax case then be caught dead at a LAN with a heavy ass case like that.

You would walk to the stoop, trip, and your new rig goes "bye-bye!"

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you've never been to the lan partys I go to then... You come in with a cheap ass case then you had BETTER have something in it to back it up...

The lightest case I've ever brought to a lan was prolly around 80lbs. Then add the dual 19" CRTs. And the home theatre setup for speakers, etc.

And, btw, the case DOES matter. A cheap case is not nearly as effective when it comes to thermal design, or physical location of components.

Please stop posting tonight, your posts are stupifying.

edit : And, btw, the Lian Li PC60 and 6070 are VERY light chassis.

8. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yes, I know Lian-Li makes some very light chassis.

I'm just saying that a super-expensive case is uneccesary, but just don't get one that is so cheap everyone at the lan will say "zOMG! Loll!!one!"

I just picked up one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-171-053&depa=1

I want your opinion on it...I think it will make a good impression, you?

EDIT: Just for the record, I had an Aspire case with similar guts and that was REALLY sturdy...looks are decieving, that thing will hold up well.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i can honestly say that we would laugh our asses off if we ever saw that piece of shit at our lans.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

My LANs are different...We try to get the most extreme, angry, and pissed off looking machines we can. I think this is the most pissed-off looking case I have ever seen.

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe ExtremeTech should take a page out of that phrase's books, and not have given that case a decent review "Because it looked ugly!"

They didn't even go in depth about the build quality...which everyone else seems to love. Nice objective review! I'm glad I didn't subscribe to that shit.

That's kind of like somebody reviewing a Ferrari and saying, "This car is ugly, it's stoopid looooooooooooking *Guh-Huck!* and smells bad when you take it out off the showroom floor. I'm not going to say how fast it is, because that's irrele...irrelev...SHIT! It don't matter.

Man, them big words get me every time! DUEEEEE!"

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you spend $100k+ on an ugly car, then I do think you are dumb. A car (much like a computer) should serve not only your utilitarian needs, but should also be astetically pleasing.

Obviously people agree with me because those are the systems I sell the most of... And if my way wasn't popular, I wouldn't be successful, and Apple wouldn't have a following of loyal users like they do.

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

personally i'd never buy an asiapro case again. I bought one for my sister (cheapest cse they had) and the I/O shield it has was a pain in the ass to remove. i ended up bending the back of the case (because it was so thin and cheaply made).

I'd also never ever have an 80 lb computer. Even with all my water-cooling stuff, my computer probably weights less than 40 lbs.

13. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Did you get the thin aluminum one, or the steel one at the bottom of the page? The steel one looks pretty sturdy, if you ask me, when you factor in the price.

14. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

it was a steel one.

15. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Shiny, or anodized? Personally I feel the anodized cases I have seen tend to be made out of better metal.

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

...no they don't man. i bought one for my GF from newegg (was $38, but they don't have it listed anymore) It came with a no-name 450watt PSU that sparked and got replaced, the side panel does not line up and rattles when the fans are on. The case itself doesn't seem to line up at all, its not metal, it's "SGCC" and extremily thin and flexible. The inside of the case is extremely ugly brown/tan color due to it being "SGCC" material and not a true metal like Aluminum/steel. I'd take a 100lb. case that i had to carry on my back over that 2lb. piece of crap.

17. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Ahhh, alright my bad. Anyway, who buys a generic case for the power supply?

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Lian Li

19. cassetti

cassetti New Member

well guys - i ended up getting this case - and i got some other stuff - for $50 - i got this, some round cables, USB hub (needed one) - and a mousepad with the blue illuminated trim - actually $54 shipped

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KG-188-BLK&cat=CAS

i'll do fine for what i need. - lol - and it don't look too bad

And for the record - i'm simply spiffing up my case because mine doesn't match the rest of my living room - and i'm a black and silver deco kinda guy (except for exotic wood grain - which is what i did for my speakers i built - used a burlwood grain veneer on my speakers - stained with a custom mixed dark cherry color. - looks hot.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions. If i were to buy another case - it would be one like the samauri or nemisis case (made under several manufacturer names)

oh - and as far as the 'noise' of the case - pfft - nothing a few coats of rubberized underbody spray can't handle! (i am a basshead - i vibrate so much - i can make a girl.... uh - nvm - lol - but yeah - she did get off... and i have snapped off my rearview mirror from my bass - i know a thing or two about combatting a rattling case)

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol i did at first. but it's a bad mistake, gf's one sparks and mine is hitting 11.7v on the 12v rail after a year+ of usage. Going to get new ones soon...