Buying A Car ...Plz Help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Axespeed, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

Alright so here's the story.. i need some advice.

I'm 15 years old right now and i work as a busboy at a restaurant. I make $8 an hour and i'm putting as much as i can into my bank account for future savings/ car. I'm looking to buy a used car for no more then $15,000 by the time i turn 16. I'm thinking i can pay off a huge portion of it or maybe some help from the parents. I'm really interested in speed but at the same time i dont want some old 92' and put a turbo in that. Cars that i'm considering right now are the 2005 Mustang GT, Toyota Civic, maybe an Acura (integra, TL would be nice) and a BMW M3 (if i get lucky)
    My questions are, which car would you recommend within my interests (2 door, speed, under $15,000) and where can i buy these cars except the dealership.

I know that dealerships sell used cars also and that i can buy cars from the internet but i am very inexperienced with all this because i'm only 15.

So any information on this would be appreciated.

2. Axespeed

I've also always wanted a Subaru WRX STi.. but that was when i lived in Chicago, now in Miami, my friend's car's changed my mind a lot and i want a 2 door instead.

Just the other day i was in my friend's Toyota Celica which was not that bad after all..

I'm not looking to do a hell of a lot of mods 2 tha car ..i just want to work the engine and put a little system in it.

3. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

:ugh2:

2g DSM

Edit: Make it an N/T since you're 15.

4. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

some slow and worth no more than $2,000. im willing to put $15,000 on the fact that you will cause some type of irreversable damage to a perfectly fine car, that a mature adult could enjoy for years and years to come.

you need something along the lines of a 92-95 civic with the stock non-overhead cam engine :)

edit: you dont want an STi either....the AWD is overated, and youll still crash (trust me, ive seen it happen right in front of me)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

I hope you meant single overhead cam.

AWD is overrated? WTF are you smoking?

6. Axespeed

I didn't understand that...what's DSM and N/T ?

But like i'm not some moron behind the wheel, i have experience driving before and i love cars so i dont think i will crash it that fast

But yeah Priest Tango, i was actually looking at buying a civic and just doing some performance work on it...not too much, that way i can still have money left over

I was actually looking at the 2002 Toyota Celica GTS today....it's not bad at all

A friend of mine bought one for $8,900 used... with a little work that seems like a great car to purchase

Damm i also want a Honda CBR600 ...:hs:

7. AccordVballa

AccordVballa OT Supporter

hmm, ever considered a used maxima??

8. attomica

attomica Active Member

"That fast?" Does this imply that you intend to crash at some point, just not right away?

Seriously, you should re-evaluate your desire for "speed". That should be something you get into once you get some experience under your belt, if ever. Too many young kids get killed/injured or they kill/injure someone else because their inexperience combines with poor decision-making to cause bad incidents. Plus, speed and high-performance maneuvers should be reserved for a purpose-built track, not public roads where others can be affected.

I admire your optimism when you mention the M3, but that's a bad idea on many levels. Even grown, educated adults have a hard time with those cars from the point of maintenance costs. They are high-performance machines, are very high-strung, and suffer frequent failures. Keep in mind that whatever you buy, you will have to keep running. Typically, a higher performing machine will have higher maintenance costs. It is widely known that Japanese cars are the most reliable and efficient, followed distantly by American cars (a reason to reconsider the Mustang GT you mention), followed very distantly by European cars.

A used Civic or Integra would be good choices for your first car. They're fun, reliable, safe, and efficient, but higher performance mods can't be made without some serious money. Also, as mentioned before, look at used Maximas too. Really nice ones can be had in your price range and they are great cars. Look at www.maxima.org for what can be done with them.

For a newer car, look at the Mazda3 or Scion t/c. They're highly regarded and by the time you're ready to buy a car, some decent used ones in your range should be available.

As far as acquiring a used car, there are many avenues you can use. A dealership is one that has a lot of positives, especially if you're looking at the same brand they sell. Sometimes, you can find one that is "certified" which means they have gone through the car to insure everything is right and have added a warranty to it. That's a very good thing to have. You can buy one using the internet, but I'd be careful with that. I would personally never buy a car I hadn't seen myself, gotten the VIN to check for known issues, and had thorougly checked out. It's a major, important purchase and it's just smart to make sure you're getting the best you can for your money. Then, there's the private seller, like those in the Auto Trader. Not a bad way to buy a car I guess, but it comes with its problems and because of that, I wouldn't recommend it.

Wait for a while, kid. Even as an adult, bad shit can happen. It would have sucked beyond belief if this would have happened to me at the age you are.

[​IMG]

Slow down and take things easy. You'll get to experience the wonder of high-performance machines, just do it in steps. If you bite off too much too fast, bad stuff can happen.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  9. JoeyFyed

JoeyFyed New Member

Hmm, a GTS is a nice first car, far better than mine. You can also try a used BMW 3 Series. Maybe a Civic Si, the body before the ugly hatchback a few years back.

10. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I would spend half that if I were you. $8k maximum. Your first car is going to get a little beat up, whether you want to admit it or not. Also consider the insurance, maintenance, tires, car tax, etc. Don't bite off more than you can chew (ie. keep up with in ongoing expenses).

I would recommend against a Civic/Integra or anything two-seat (except maybe an old beat CRX) or generally high-performance, especially if a turbo or V8 is involved. Insurance is going to rape you with a high-risk vehicle like that... it won't be particularly cheap even if you're driving a Toyota Echo. Sad fact of life when you are 16 years old.

There are a number of more anonymous cars you can look into which are still plenty of fun. Like the '99+ Mazda Protege or Celica (I don't recommend the GTS - the engines in these have chronic problems with lift bolts breaking and a not-so-great oiling system - but the GT 5-speed is actually a decent car) or an older Prelude or 240SX or Impreza 2.5RS... for example.

11. machine81

machine81 New Member

I'm confused. 2005 Mustang GT, Toyota Celica, Acura TL, BMW M3, Subaru STI. Beyond a used Celica, which of these cars are in your $15,000 price range.

Keep wishin'

Used Maxima FTW.

12. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

you dont realize those cars you mentioned will get you raped on insurance

13. Axespeed

Thanx for the advice about everything..

I know insurance is gonna be a pain because i'm gonna be 16, it's a 2 door, blah blah but besides that, i was realling looking into the Acura Integra and Toyota Celica lately.

Like i said, a friend of mine bought a Celica for eighty-nine hundred (newer model i think 2002) and i rode in it..seemed really nice
    I know i can find an Acura Integra for cheaper. Maybe a Type-R

Whatever i guess i still have time to think about it..

BTW, attomica, thanks for the deep explaination.
    I was only kidding about buying an M3 as my first car. I hope to have one some day though
    Sorry about your leg, i wouldn't want that to happen to me either. I'm not going to be a maniac on the street i just have a passion for cars and i seem to get a kick out of fast ones.

Maybe i'll check out the Maxima but i know the Integra and Celica are definitely 2 choices of mine right now.

14. Axespeed

Oh and what do you guys think of the Acura RSX? I heard it's too small..

15. machine81

machine81 New Member

The Integras are pretty nice. Small, but not unbearably so.

Have you checked out Preludes or Eclipses? Just a thought.

16. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Race everything and anyone. Remember, when you first get your license, you are unstoppable, and the police will cut you breaks (if) you get caught.

17. Axespeed

lol ^

But yeah i dont like the eclipse too much, seems like a girls car
    i checked out the maximas and unless if it's the new model, which i still wouldn't prefer to the integra or celica, i wont get it

Any info on RSX's, Integras, Celicas? i wanna know personal experiences rather then reviews.

18. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

I drive a Celica. It's a 95 though. It's actually a Celica. Those new cheese wedges aren't Celicas, but they aren't bad.

RSX will only be worth it if you get a Type S. Otherwise it's slow.

19. Axespeed

hmmm.... how bout an Accord....they're not bad either... :bigthumb:

20. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Listen to what others say. For the first few years, you will probably hit a few things, so while you're learning how to drive, get something that you won't mind not being perfect. Plus, at your age, you want an economy car because you will get raped on insurance.

94-96ish Integra GS or GSRs are affordable and they're still somewhat fun to drive, reliable, and inexpensive to maintain. Soon as you're 18 and out of high school, you'll probably go to college. If you still want a real car, at least you have 2 years of driving experience and insurance rates won't be as insane (even though they will be raping you until you're 25).

Other options I'd recommend: 94-97 240SX SE or mid 90s Golf GTI. People probably will make fun of you, but the 90-97 Miatas are affordable, reliable, inexpensive to maintain, and fun to drive. I've had my 97 for 5 years now; I was expecting to only keep it for 2 years (weekend race car) but I've converted back to a street car and it's my daily driver. Several years of track use and it still has yet to have anything fail on me (other than replacing the clutch and brakes... normal wear and tear).

21. Axespeed

Yeah i know what you mean exactly, that's why i'm not striving to get some new car..i want something like a 2002 Accord so i can beat it up, i can rely on it, and it's inexpensive.

Sux about insurance though.
    Whatever

Thanx for all the advice...if anyone has an Integra, Accord, RSX, Civic, or Celica i wouldn't mind sharing opinions on the car and if should buy or not

Thanx...pz

22. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

my friend has a 99 EK hatch. he refers to his SOHC as "non-overhead cam" since the motor is absolutely slow as a wet dog
    wrong choice of words...but its not gonna save you from a an act that only a 16/17 year old kid could pull off. my friend thought you could be doing 100+mph down the parkway and make an emergency lane change, and the car's rear wont kick out and fish tail because its got the almighty AWD system :eek:

23. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

AWD acctully LOVES to kick the rear end out, its part of the fun. :)

From what you described, a secound gen Eclipse (DSM) would be the car for you, it looks newwer, you can get them for cheap, they come with a turbo and have all wheel drive.

24. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I've got to commend you kid, you're actually asking for advice and using it (so it appears). Most of what you should be looking for has been mentioned above. When you get your first car, and are allowed on your own, you WILL want to act the fool. To what degree, who knows. It just part of the game. I'm fresh out of high school. I've seen kids total their car doing the stupidest things. Besides the usual idiots, a few of these kids were intelligent with a respectable amount of common sense.

I've only got a few years on you, but listen up. Respect the machine, stay humble, know your abilities, heed your lack of skills. Seat time is the best way to gain experience. If you're looking for some performance driving (with any car you end up with), go to your local SCCA events and try out some auto-cross. it'll really teach you how your car will react and what to do.

An extra tid-bit so you don't get raped on insurance: A two door car in usually specified as a sportscar. I've got a '92 240sx. Its not a fast car. My insurance is double what it should be just because of that fact.

As for that motorcycle bit. I've had a street bike since I was 15. I'm also an MSF instructor. From first hand experience, an extreme few have their heads on right to ride responsibly at these ages. Make a thread in the Powersports/Motorcycle forum for more info.

Cheers

25. Axespeed

^Good advice man

Yeah i want a bike but that's like not until im 18, and the reason i want to start with the CBR600 is because they're really balanced so i wont fall that easily as say a gixxer..

but what do i know?

i talked to my mom and she said if i buy the car (with maybe some help from dad, FYI parents are divorced) then they would pay for insurance, or however it works out

and if i'm looking for a used car, for ex., integra, what milage should i be looking at
    I know honda's and acura's last long but still ..i was thinking 50K-80K is not such bad milage

i have a friend with a 94 accord and he bought his for $3,200 and it had 135K miles on it
    For the past 2 years he said its been running great.