A&P Buying a Canon 300D :bandwagon: - I can't decide on a Tele Lens

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ekliptix, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

2. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

Buy a 10D

3. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

4. mojito

mojito New Member

you'd be surpised how often you don't "need" IS. The Canon is the better choice, besides the IS

5. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

what exactly is the question here? Whether on not to buy the 300D or which tele lens to get?

So you already have the 300D?

Oh and if your looking for a tele lens, whats your budget? How much reach are you looking for 200, 300, 400, 500mm? Whats your desired aperture f2.8, f4 etc.

Alot of factors play into what you wanna get

6. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

I'm getting the 300D.

Tele lens. preferably 300mm. F3.5-4.5 max would be nice.

I've just heard that the Canon 75-300 gives poor results.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

The canon 300mm F/4 is a pretty sweet lens if you want a prime. Used its about 800. The 100-400 IS or 70-200 + a 1.4x and/or 2x converter is another option.

This pic was handheld with a 100-400 IS at 1/60

[​IMG]

8. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

if you're gonna invest in lenses don't waste your money on the 300d.

9. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

why? It's image quality is the same as the 10D.

10. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

Here are my main gripes about it taken partly verbatum from another article I read.

-The basic white balance options, which are comprised of Auto, Custom and six manual white balance settings, are the same. Auto WB is derived from an analysis of the image data only. There is no Kelvin white balance control as there is in the 10D.

-The Digital Rebel's ISO range runs from 100-1600 in 1 stop increments. The 10D's H (ISO 3200) setting isn't available on the Digital Rebel.

-The Digital Rebel's processing buffer tops out at 4 frames, regardless of file format or ISO, compared to 9 in the 10D. Shooting rate is 2.5 fps.

-300d lacks a control for changing the ambient metering pattern. When shooting in automatic exposure modes such as Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Program, Evaluative Metering is active by default. It's possible to temporarily switch to Partial Metering by pressing the AE-Lock button, but it's not possible to choose Centre-Weighted Averaging at all. Centre-Weighted Averaging is active, however, when the Digital Rebel is set to Manual exposure; again, Partial Metering can be made active temporarily with the AE-Lock button, but Evaluative can't be chosen.

-Setting the camera's Custom Functions won't take long: there are none. This means it won't be possible to turn the AE Lock/FE Lock button into the AF start button, among other functionality differences. By comparison, the 10D includes 17 Custom Functions.

-Digital Rebel doesn't allow for the selection of AF mode. While you can choose between manual focus and autofocus (by flipping the AF/M switch on any Canon EF lens), in the exposure modes of most use to serious shooters - Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Program and Manual - the Digital Rebel chooses between One Shot AF and AI Servo AF automatically on the fly, in a mode called AI Focus. If you'd prefer to choose one or the other yourself, then you'll need a different camera. The only way to lock down the focus mode is to choose one of the camera's Basic Zones: Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait or Flash Off. With the camera set to Sports, for example, the AF mode is fixed on AI Servo; in Portrait, it's One Shot. Unfortunately, the Basic Zone settings, which are geared for neophyte amateur shooters, impose other compromises, such as no control over the camera's image processing Parameter Sets. So, it's doubtful that they will be a usable AF mode selection workaround in most cases. If there is one key feature difference between the Digital Rebel and 10D that will see serious Canon shooters step up to the 10D, it's this one.

11. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

Ok.

But I cannot justify the 10D options for the difference in price.

12. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

just go with the 300mm f/4

consumer lenses suck!

plus you have 1.6x with that anyway.

if you have more money, then get the 200mm 2.8 :hs:

13. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

No need to. People have different requirements from a camera, just like cars and tools. My personal camera is a 1Ds, my g/f want's nothing to do with it, she is also considering a 300d.

I've only played with a 300d a bit, but I think for the price it's a great camera. I'm really considering picking one up for the g/f, and being able to use it as a nice "walkabout" camera when I don't feel like dragging along the 1Ds and heavy glass.

The kit lens, is actually not that bad for $100, and provides an equally light companion for the 300d, it's obviously not anywhere near equal to say the 16-35L or even 17-40L, but it's, not horrible in it's own light.

The actual imager is so similar to the 10d, that I figure for most shots, they are more or less equals, obviously, you give up some of the functions, such as mirror lockup and higher ISO's, but for it's intended market, this should have little to no impact.

Canon is going to sell a ton of these little cameras.

VSM

14. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

Agreed.
    But I still need help on a lens. The L series are $$$, and i have not seen anything indicating that the Sigmas are junk.

15. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

The EX line is not bad, ..my only advice, would be to make sure you buy Sigma lenses at a place that has a no hassle return policy.

I've owned sigma glass in the past, and found I had to return copies several times in order to get a copy that was acceptable from edge to edge. When you get a good copy though, the lens can sing.

You could also get older glass off photo.net or the Fredmiranda.com forums. Glass like the older 100-300L goes resonably cheap.

VSM

16. fliptight

fliptight Guest

i bought the 300D. it's a nice camera. yes, it doesn't have all the features that the 10D does, and people say "oh well if you just wait a little bit more, you can get the 10D!"

what people forget though is that the the 10D is $500 more BODY only.
    for $999 u get the kit lens (which is decently good u wont get wide angle like that for a while for that price) PLUS you have $500 does extra that u didn't spend to get some bad ass lens!

so suppose you get the the Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM for $400 (the cheapest i've seen it)

for $900 body + $100 kit lens (wide to medium) + $400 telephoto = $1400

buy the 10D and:

$1400 + $400 telephoto = $1800 and you only have one lens

if u wanted to have wide angle as well

then the Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Autofocus Lens runs for about $680 bring the total for >$2400 for a considerable amount more of invesment. the quality IS considerably better than the kit lens but the point is you are gonna spend that much more just to match the kit lens wide angle later on if u got the 10D

well in the end it's up to the person whether they can justify the lack of missing features (the only i miss really is selectable AF servo) and being able to have the extra money on lenses instead

17. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

bringing this back on topic... what are you using the lens for? that alone should decide what kind you need.

and just so you know.. a 300mm lens = 480 w/ the 1.6x crop on the 300d or 10d

18. fliptight

fliptight Guest

wops about being off-topic i guess i was just making a personal response to Kelvin96GSR

anyway if u really have the money i'd get the Canon 75-300 IS

if not, i've read some good reviews on the Sigma 75-300APO on DPreview. but also some bad on photo.net that the autofocus is loud/not smooth/and sometimes does not focus properly

i always wonder what is the exact ratio of people who actually receive a bad component vs ones who complain over nothing/dont know what their doing

19. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM is under scrutiny now.

Comparable with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, but less expensive.

Used for outdoor action and wildlife photography.

20. bosox

bosox *

have you considered the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L?
    it's around $560 new.

21. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

yes, it's around just a little cheaper then the Sigma, but I've found a 70-200 sigma for $850 canadian used (vs 1100 new). So the greater apature of the sigma compels me.

The Sigma gets great reviews @ http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_83598_3128crx.aspx

Hey, I got a Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro lens for free today! it still has the $600 price tag on the box!

Also, A warning to those considering the D Rebel: I called a photo place today and the sales guy (really helpful) 'suggested' that I wait untill Dec 4th to but the Rebel.... Me thinks possible price drop in either the 300D or the 10D.

22. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

23. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

me no likey the Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Autofocus Lens