GUN Buying a Bushmaster online....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I went to two local gun shops tonight expecting to buy a 1911 or 92FS, but after shooting an AR-15 M4gery on the range I was absolutely hooked and decided on a rifle instead.

Even though the rifle I shot was nice and lot's of fun, they were WAY overpriced at both stores. After doing some research online, i've decided on a Bushmaster and the "type" of AR-15 I want is something that is identical to the M16A4, so I want to get the Bushmaster A3 20inch standard rifle, nothing fancy... http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa2s20.asp

Now, for an extra $100 bucks or so, I could get the Colt equivelant to this rifle. Is it worth going with Colt over Bushmaster?

Both of my local stores were incredibly overpriced (even more expensive than MSRP). MSRP from Bushy's website is $1135 and I found an online dealer located in Arizona that's got the exact model I want for $910. Does anyone know if i'll be able to find a better deal than this? What other online dealers can I check out?

Also, they all say that they WON'T ship directly to you, but only to an FFL. What exactly does this mean and how do I complete the transaction? This dealer that has it for $910 is in Arizona and i'm in Florida, if that matters at all. If anyone has bought complete firearms online before, I would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Well, when you buy a firearm online, it needs to be transfered to a FFL. Federal firearm license is what it stands for i think. :x:

Anyways, it's basicly a gunshop and the likes. Some pawn shops too i bet. There will be a FFL fee though. It usuall ranges from $25-50 depending on who it is.

You factor in shipping, and this FFL fee, and see how much the rifle will cost total, not just the price of the actual rifle.

Make sure, this dealer doesnt charge you extra for some bullshit reason saying if they stock it or some shit.

Now, if the price of the rifle is pretty close to the shop, just buy it at the shop and support your local dealer. If not, ask if they are willing to drop the price at least close to whatever it would cost for you to get the rifle there.

Basicly, steps are.

Locate local FFL/firearm
    Pay for firearm
    Have local FFL fax/mail to where ever the firearm is at
    They send firearm to your local FFL
    You pick up
    Shoot minorities.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

That is literally the exact gun I almost bought, and I ended up with a RRA Entry Tactical which for me was acutally around the same price and a nicer gun.
    Check ar-15.com lots of dealers with lower prices
    I got this $850 (no tax) SHIPPED to my FFL (this included upgrades like a Chrome Lined Barrel and US Property Marked Lower), so with the $25 FFL fee I am still coming out ahead. There are different options for the handle etc. They wanted $900+ tax locally for it.

[​IMG]

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Before you buy answer these questions:

What do you want to do with your rifle? What purpose will it serve?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Since the other questions were already answered, Colt's are good rifles but theres nothing about them that makes them anybetter then bushmaster, rra or several other AR manafactuers your just paying extra for the name. As was suggested go on over to the Exchange forum on AR15.com and you should be able to find what you want probably even cheaper.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

A couple gun stores around here won't even do an FFL transfer on a firearm that they sell.

I had my XD done at a Hunting store here. Just had it shipped to them, they called me when it came in, I got to go inspect it and fill out the paper work. Super easy. They charged me $30 for it.

There is also a Pawn shop around me that does it for $15.

I'd suggest calling around to all the local gun stores and pawn shops seeing if they'll do an FFL transfer, telling them what kind of gun it is, and how much it costs. Shouldn't be to hard to find one.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Encountered that problem when I bought 2 stripped AR lowers, walked into one of the shops I use to frequent tellem I want to do a transfer things go smoothly untill the subject of what it is comes up, asks me I'de want do that when he can sell me a complete Bushmaster lower for $375. Well besides the fact his price sucked (ok didnt tell him that part) I explained I was purchasing stripped lower recievers, to which he says He can get me one of those too for only $180. Being I was paying $85 each + whatever FFL transfer fee for the lower I wanted, I didn't like that idea either. Found another person that does ffl transfers for $25 Never going back to the assholes shop either.

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:eek5: $85 for BM lowers? Link?!?!?!?!

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

I went in one I don't like going in to ask about the transfer... The worker was like, "It's $25." I was like, "Good, what do I have to do beforehand?" and the owner yelled across the shop, "You said it was an XD? We won't transfer that because we sell it!" Was the same A-hole who yelled at a friend at a gun show...

They have the best indoor range around here though :o The other indoor range has not ventilation and you choke to death in there.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sorry should of specified the stripped lowers I got werent bushmaster :o Bushmaster doesnt sell stripped lowers anymore, been told they discontinued selling complete lowers too, only whole rifles and uppers. Go over on ar15.com if your looking for a stripped lower though tons various manafactuers for sale.

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

The guy transfering my RRA Rifle that is coming is a RRA dealer... I talked to him about his prices and then called back and asked for a FFL transfer.. he asked what price I got it for $850 (lower than his $900+ tax base)... he said Oh... ok.. and he is doing the transfer for $25
    I asked him about his prices and he said they are firm.. I dont have a problem selling them.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

I found a Bushmaster dealer near me (the dude owns a gun shop out of his garage, lol) and he said he can order me what I want for only $820+$5 for the background+6% sales tax.

I'm going tomorrow to place the order :).

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sounds pretty fair might save a few bucks buying it online but not much after ffl transfer fee, and your supporting a local shop so its all good. I rather support a local shop when i can but most of them around here are stuck up overpriced pricks