Buying a 87 crx need help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JCab, Oct 8, 2005.

1. JCab

JCab New Member

Well the owner was a dumb ass and had barley any radiator fluid so the car stopped running and he had to get it towed to his house...He said the head gasket was blown...I am buying it for 100 bucks the outside still looks nice and I was wondering can the engine survive that? Is it fucked up? can i still fix it and make it run?

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

spend the $100 elsewhere and get a hooker

3. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

If the body is straight and rust free, I'd buy it. You can put just about any Honda motor in there you want to.

If it overheated badly, killing the head gasket, it has most likely warped the head, so it would need resurfacing.

If it was real bad, the block could have been damaged, including scoring on the cylinder walls or block warpage. Cracked or stressed rods and crank are possible if the coolant entered the combustion chamber. Also, bent valves because of the water are possible, which if snapped could have runined the pistons and or camshafts.

For 100 bucks though, if it's a clean car, besides the motor, it's worth it.

4. durand202

durand202 New Member

Yes the motor should be able to be fixed. If its a blown head gasket its not that hard to change just time consuming. It will cost you about $100 for the whole head gasket set to do the work yourself. If you send it to a shop your going to spend some where around $400-$600. You could do a motor swap but that involves a lot of time and money.