Buy Laptop Now or Wait Until Mid-July?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I'll be attending law school in late August and will need a laptop by then. I know technology keeps changing fast and that I could wait forever to upgrade, but I ultimately want the best bang for the buck and don't need a laptop now.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge on a T410s or T410 but they both have their cons (low battery life and thickness, respectively). I'm also interested in some Asus laptops but their keyboards look much worse and they simply don't have the same power. I'd like to, at a minimum, run 1080p movies on my laptop but other than that, I wouldn't be gaming with it. I want a SSD boot-up hard drive and will use an external at home for storage needs.

There are sales going on now for the Thinkpads and they're tempting but it's annoying how the T410s is supposed to be a top-of-the-line laptop with only 2.5-3hrs battery life. It's only 14" too. Yet the T410 simply looks massive in comparison to its competitors.

Any thoughts? My budget is $1600-1700 MAXIMUM. I don't care about the build quality and apparent security features of a Mac Book Pro. But I do care about having to spend time learning its interface. Its keyboard is the same type as Asus, too, so I might as well buy that one for $600 less.

Ultimately, keyboard, battery life, 14" screen and power are what is important to me. In that order.

2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

If you don't need it now, take the next few months to keep your eye on deals and/or incoming models. What about the keyboard do you want? And just to note, rated battery life =/= real battery life. If I can get a laptop (not netbook) that lasts over 1.5 hours, I'd be happy.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Wait as long as you can, early august is when most companies start up with the big back to school discounts.

4. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

it's been my experience that the very best prices i've found were during memorial day sales

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Well I want an easy typing keyboard. The Thinkpad appeals to me because it's just like a normal keyboard and not a chiclet style that seems to be all the rage.

Also, the battery lives I've been reading about are from reviews, so I'm moderately sure they reflect real-life usage.

6. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Reviews reflect best case battery lives, because the battery hasn't been used much yet. I don't remember the stats for lithium-ions (probably 10-20 percent?), but for nickel batteries, their total capacity would drop like, 40 percent in the first year.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

According to my T61, my battery is at 67% efficiency after 2.5 years

8. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Battery degradation isn't linear, it's logarithmic iirc, so by the second or third year, the battery will lose about 5-10 percent of its capacity or less.