Buy a used PB?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sqwirl, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I'm in the market for a new laptop now and I've decided to rejoin the Apple camp more than just the occaisional use of my old ibook.

I was sold on just buying a new macbook but then I decided I wanted to order an intake for my car and some other random parts. Then the more I sat and thought about all I use my computer for, it made it hard for me to want to spend $1100+ on a new laptop. All I currently do on my PC is web browse and listen to music.

So tonight I got the idea of looking into a used Powerbook on ebay. My only stipulation was that it be at least a 1.33ghz machine. My 500mhz g3 ibook is still tolerable but it struggles with flash and videos. I have memory and hard drives laying around so that is of no concern to me. I've been seeing 15" 1.5ghz g4 powerbooks going for around $600-700.

My question is would you pay that much for one? Or would you just save up another $400-500 and get the new macbook. I know Apple equipment holds it's value like no other so the prices don't surprise me. Those old PB's were always an object of desire for me, especially the 12", but I don't know if it is a good idea to drop that much on one. I'm afraid that I will get it and regret that decision in 6 months or so when I want more horsepower.

I've never had any experience using one of them in that speed range. The last powerbook I fooled around with was 867mhz.

Any ideas/suggestions?

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I can't speak for the performance of a later model Powerbook. I've owned a 500MHz iBook and my 1.83GHz Macbook Pro. Personally, I'd be hesitant to spend very much on a non-intel based laptop. I'd rather put the $600-700 towards a Macbook. My iBook was slow as balls, but I put up with it until I had the cash for my MBP. I'm glad I waited, it was worth it :hs:

3. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Yeah, I agree with DjShiznit, it's better to wait until you can get an Intel-based Mac. They are much, much faster than the PPC G4s. Maybe you can find a used Intel one though, try Craigslist maybe.

4. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I had a 1.25 ghz G4 iBook, and it seemed worthless next to my GF's Core Duo macbook.

One month later the iBook was sold, and a Core 2 Duo MacBook was on my lap.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I'd save your money til you can buy an Intel machine. It'd be a better investment.

6. noob.

noob. New Member

Gosh what's with all the iBook bashing? I love mine.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

its now generations old.

8. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I loved my iBook, the 12" form factor, the build quality, the battery life...

It had a lot of things going for it, but the MacBook blows it away in horsepower.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Exactly. It will run Leopard but not all that well. If we were still using G4 processors it'd be worth the purchase but with the move to Intel and the new OS, I don't think it'd be a great purchase.