Button up shirt under a sweater with nice pants and shoes...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MikeTheVike1, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I'm going to the mall tomorrow, and I was thinking about trying this look out. I have quite a few sweaters, but none that would look good with a button up underneath.

I'm worried that the button up will look clumpy under the sweater, any tips? What about color combos? I'm thinking dark gray/charcoal colored pants, dark blue sweater, white shirt, something of that nature. I also don't like when the shirt hangs out the bottom of the sweater, I would probably tuck it in. Should the shirt cuffs stick out past the sleeves of the sweater? what do you think?

kinda like the solid colored sweaters on this link...
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/category.do?cid=38187&mlink=5343,346373,3&clink=346373

2. MikeTheVike1

I also need some new black shoes, I saw a link to some from Macy's one time on here, any ideas?

3. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Ive worn this sweater/shirt combo in the past.. I dont mind it :dunno: Its a really light sweater.. no warmth at all really.. but the shirt underneith doesnt clump up too badly/noticably I dont think

[​IMG]

and I do realise I look rather confused :hsd:

4. MikeTheVike1

doesn't look bad, but seems more casual than what I want though. I'm looking for something to wear to my company Christmas party. Was going to wear my suit, but I'm having second thoughts.

5. difabs

difabs New Member

it works nicely, to get passed the casual aspect of the picture posted, tuck in the dress shirt, leave the sleeves down and maybe pick some more formal colors. When I wear a similar outfit I usually go with a black sweater with a blue dress shirt with a fine white pinstriping in it. A nice pair of denim or slacks is a must too.

6. o.negative

o.negative OT Supporter

its basically what i wear to work everyday.

i avoid clumping by always pairing it with a V-neck sweater, usually light weight cause im layering. and the under dress shirt is sometimes solid, but often pinstriped... usually with a pretty stiff collar (those plastic inserts help lots). i never have my collar out, its always tucked into my v-neck; looks more polished. and always tuck in you tails, it looks messy/halfass/casual when its out.

solid teal under light brown
    [​IMG]

sometimes i pair it with a henley just to get away from the sweaters for a bit
    [​IMG]

as far as you choice, pretty classic. dark solid colors, and a white button up. maybe add a bright color tie (pref. red) to set off all the darkness. but yea.. a suit maybe too much for an xmas party. oh and i always have a bit of the cuffs showing. usually .5in. add visual interest me thinks

have fun nga

7. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

yes, always tuck the collar of the dress shirt into the sweater. for a more formal look, stick to a solid darker colored sweater with a lighter colored dress shirt, either pin striped or box patterned. having both the sweater and the dress shirt as solid colors looks too... preppy.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

shirt underneath has to fit well, many of my shirts are too baggy and look stupid under sweaters, I posted a picture in the what are you wearing today that looks god awful, it's a black sweater over a yellow shirt. If the shirt isn't fitted and the sweater is it just looks clumpy.

Also make sure the sweaters are v-necks. You can cuff the sweater if the arms are too long.

9. Q-Ball

Q-Ball Insert Creative Text Here

depending on the combo its sometimes better to skip an undershirt underneath too or it looks like too many layers.

10. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

I did this for the first time last weekend for a wedding. It worked out well. It was a white with thin black lines(making small boxes), a black v-neck, and dark dark jeans. I thought it was cool. Usually not my style.

11. m3ntal

m3ntal New Member

lately i've been doing it with a thin merino wool sweater vest...i think it looks good..