But it IS USB2.0!!!! :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Feb 24, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have a new Sony laptop with XP Pro SP2 and two USB2.0 ports. I just put together an external hard disk using a Bytecc USB2.0 box and a Maxtor OEM 120GB disk. When I connect it, I get that stupid "This device can perform faster...." popup from the system tray. I don't get any complaints when I connect my USB2.0 thumb drive or a USB2.0 Ethernet adapter and they're nice and fast. I don't have another machine here with USB2.0 ports to test the drive against. I've unplugged and repluged a million times and even deleted all my USB controllers/root hubs/mass storage devices from device manager. I've test copied some big files to the disk and its definitely USB1.1 speeds. :wtf: God I hate USB.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Ok I turned it back on after being off for a while and didn't get the message about being in a slow port. I tried copying a file over and with a few seconds I got a "delayed write failure" followed by about a minute of the removable device icon appearing and disappearing from the system tray along with the sound XP makes when you plug/unplug USB or Firewire devices. When that stopped, it showed up in My Computer again and I was able to copy a 154MB file over at 1.1 speeds. I guess the box is just a POS. Fuck.

3. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Yep.. sounds like it.

I was going to mention the possibilty of not having a powered USB slot, but considering its a laptop, as far as I know, they are all powered. Plus the BOX is also powered, so I ran out of ideas :)

Wish I coulda helped.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I know you said you deleted the mass storage devices/root hubs, but doing that pretty much just re-installs the existing drivers already on the system. I'm not sure how much different is could be from a Desktop, but see if you can go online and find the motherboard/chipset drivers for it and reinstall those devices and force it to use the drivers you download. It's worth a shot.

I had the same issue with a Desktop I built. I had USB 2.0 ports, but they didn't work properly until I installed those drivers.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

How are you powering the enclosure?

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It came with its own AC adapter.

7. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

i would say get an extange for the box, and try another!!!