A&P Business side of photography: What to offer photogs?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ChipOnShoulder, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Dear OTAP,

You guys are really, really good and do this for a living, so I thought i'd ask

My goals

-Have artistic photos taken for marketing materials. "Sex Sells".
    -Own the photographs and be able to distribute them
    -Not spend much money on either model or photographer

Recruiting models seems to be relatively easy... "TFP" and the opportunity to develop their portfolio. But how to get a good photographer on the cheap?

Can this be accomplished? Can I offer the photographer a % of sales of posters/postcards? Can I offer a college photography students just the experience? Or does "TFP" work for photographers as well?

Should I just learn to take pictures for myself? haha

2. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

for tfp you can only really use them for promotion of yourself and not really for marketing purposes... You're going to have to pay to have the rights to the images and make money from them.

3. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

:mamoru:

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

We have a saying at our shop. You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick two.

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Good and Cheap then :)

OK, so I'll need to secure the rights to the images... what does this entail typically? Have the model and photog sign a boiler plate form giving the rights to me?

Shit's hard, i know...

I've got a professional in another city who'll be helping me with photo touch up, but uh, i'm a complete noob. Maybe it's in my best interest to learn.

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Generally, you'll contract the photographer for a job. You tell him what you want and what you need.

The photographer will handle contracting and securing a model and the model rights based upon your usage needs.

He'll quote you a price for his services and your usages.

You'll generally not get full copyrights to the photos, those are generally held and protected by the photographer. You will however ask for full usage rights.

This can get VERY expensive though because it allows you to use the photos for whatever you want, whenever you want. You might do better figuring out exactly what you need and then paying for that. In other words, if you do not plan to run full page ads in USA Today, why pay for the rights to do so.

This is the stuff you'll have to go over with the photographer and figure out pricing. If the photographer thinks your photos might make him money beyond this gig, he might give you a discount if he can sell you non-exclusive rights. If you do not want that, you'll have to pay extra for exclusive rights so that you're the only one that can use them. Again, this will cost money.

Now, all of this is based upon the idea you're going to actually use a professional that is not out there undercutting and ruining the business. Those guys are out there and you might be able to find one, Craigslist is great to find these hacks. Some can shoot, but you take that chance of getting crap.

If you want good photography, be ready to pay for it.

Remember, keep this in mind and keep it in perspective. You're paying for someones skills to produce you something that will MAKE YOU MONEY. Dont cheap out on this. If you dont like the idea of someone coming to your work and asking you to do it for next to nothing, a photographer isnt going to like it either.

Let me put this in gun terms. There is a difference in your Noveske and your CMMG bargain bin rifle. The same in photography. You're not going to ask Noveske to make you a rifle for cheap, you're going to pay for the quality because its WORTH it to you. Dont do the same with other products, like photos.

Give you a quick and dirty idea of price though. For something like this to get most of the rights you want, you can expect to pay, from a PRO, something like $1250-$1500/day plus all expenses including model, assistants, etc which will all be secured by the photographer.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Is it in your best interest to learn how to build a house? Make your own clothes? Do your own dental work?

Sure you can learn how to "take good pictures" but ask yourself is it really worth the effort, time and money?

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Do it. Get yourself a $4000 camera, add in another $4000 or more worth of lenses and pick up $3000 worth of lighting. Now you just need how to learn it. ;)

A $2000 bill for a shoot doesnt seem so bad now does it? :big grin: