SRS Business partner is a deadbeat

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teenfucker, Nov 10, 2006.

1. teenfucker

teenfucker Guest

So I had met this guy a few times and then we became more aquainted when we started playing at the same poker club on a regular basis. He used to live in a pretty balling apartment and seemed to be doing pretty well for himself. I have had previous bad experience with partnerships in which every case results with me going through with the project and the partner dropping out or not holding up his end of the work and me taking him off the project - so I was really looking forward to working with someone that had their shit in order.

So after a couple of nights of brainstorming we come up with a pretty brilliant idea that will likely make us a shitload of money - I get psyched to work on it, and the first thing I do when I get home is create the entire 'skeleton site' of what we had discussed which was really going over the top seeing as how it was 5 in the morning.

Since the initial brainstorming, however, this asshole has managed to delay just about everything for two weeks, different excuse every day, claims he has a problem with smoking weed, and he also has a poker addiction too... Now, I could easily handle this project all by myself, and have already contributed more to it than he has, and am really getting fed up with how unmotivated he is to work on his project that should make us both rich.

I almost already cut him off completely from it once, half way through his fucking 2 week delay, and now that I'm starting to work on it some more, it's very difficult for me to stay motivated because I'm weary about doing all the work (which I wouldn't mind doing, if I was doing it myself) and just having him reap half the benefits.

On the other end, I've already had to go through just about every partnership ending sour, and I wouldn't want to cut someone out of something they originally helped me develop. I've already threatened to not work on him with it, but all that does is make the idiot more flustered and defensive about being incapable of getting anything done since he is acting like a stoner deadbeat.

2. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I know how you completely feel.

I'm an animator and have to work with people all the time. I do a lot of freelance and side projects, and 90% of them end up failing due to the other people in the project acting like that.

It's really hard to find someone who has their shit together, their head on straight and is dedicated. You need to slow down a bit and really play the field, don't get yourself too involved with someone until you really know how they are.

From the time I was in school until now, I've only found 2 guys that share my same drive and work ethic. Everything else has fallen apart.

I mean...I had some BIG gigs too, important gigs doing TV cartoons, movies, music videos...etc....all things that you would think people would be motivated to work on. However for some reason, most of my associates who were suppost to work on the projects began to fall apart and all of those gigs vanished.

Just take you time and find the quality people is what I say. I'm pretty fed up myself...but there are some out there. Don't waste your time with people like this guy.

3. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Better to drop him now then try to drop him later if they thing makes money. Don't go into business with someone who is a deadbeat and you can't trust! Not worth it!

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Doesn't sound like you could trust him at all. Can't run a startup business without trusting the other people.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sounds like so many of my friends that want to be successful but don't want to put the work into it. I mean they actually thought companies would hire them to simply think....or to strategize. And these are smart guys too....they are just very, very lazy.

After we had a few brainstorming sessions and I'd go home and work more on the prob and they would drag their feet, I just said fuck it and punted the ideas. I decided then and there, I would NEVER go into business with these guys. THey are great to hang with but not work with.

So if your idea is really good, then simply pay the guy like $20-$100 for the rights to the idea....but make him sign a contract where he assigns all of his rights to you, even those that aren't specified. This will protect you should you develop the idea and it becomes successful. Partners or not, if you developed the idea together, you can't simply take it and run with it.....he may be able to make a claim to it, if it's successful. Better to nip it in the bud before there's any real money at stake.

6. teenfucker

teenfucker Guest

If I cut him off and did the project myself I highly doubt he could make any claim towards rights of the project... How would one even go about doing something like that? Personally, I'd much rather work with a partner, it's not as though I am stubborn or difficult to get along with, or need things done a certain way - but no matter what it seems I always end up with unmotivated people. :sad2:

7. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

like I said man....it takes a long time to to find that type of person. You can't just jump into things and expect to find a great business partner.

You need to actually build some type of relationship with the people first, just keep on networking your ass off. After a while, you will get more people and you will be able to see each person's strengths and weaknesses and eventually find someone who would make a great partner.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

How it works is like this...you develop the idea which is an program (I'm assuming) then start selling it. Then it becomes successful and you start to have more money and buy stuff. You friend sees this, knows it's because of the idea you both thought of and calls an attorney to see what he can do.

Now....I'm not an attorney so I don't know what the specific claim would be but it has to do with intellectual property rights and the fact that you both came up with the idea together. That attorney may argue that you wouldn't have an idea to develop without that other person....so they are entitled to some compensation. More than likely you won't have a problem but if you are very successful you might.

There's all sorts of claims like this made every day. One thing you can do to protect yourself is to get a release from him up front.

I understand that you like working with a partner but with a lazy partner you spend most of your energy trying to motivate the other person. That just leads to resentment and lost productivity. Better to find a "self starter".

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If they don't work, you don't have a choice but to end the partnership. Unless you feel like giving half your company to someone that is fucking you over by not working.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Personally if i where you id do it alone, and become a puppet master. Just have people working for you. Why not be a single boss, instead of going into a partnership? The reason for that is simple , you can trust yourself. You could let 'with a dirty word (underlings)' do the rest of the work for you if you tell them so. That way, there will be 'responsibility' towards your employee's and although its not everything it will be more secure if you got things tied by contract. Don't set your life on loose screws, having a good idea is great, setting a solid fundamental basis is elementary yet necessarily if you don't want things not to fall apart. Prevent your project being like a unstable card house that can easily fall apart.