WEB Business Idea

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maxxpower, Nov 27, 2007.

1. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

I have a business/website idea and Im not sure how some parts work.
    Here is the basis of the concept.

Gas Prices to u.
    http://www.gasprices2u.org

About
    Gas prices to you is a subscription based service that will automatically TXT the lowest gas prices available on your preselected commute routes to your cell phone at predetermined times.

When you wake up in the morning, your cell will show you the cheapest available gas prices available from the gas stations on route between your home and your work.

30 day subscription free.
    1$ a month for 12 months after.
    If a subscriber contributes and their price is the lowest/first txt sent to our servers that day, they will receive 1 month free.

Thats the basis of the concept.
    I can handle the web end of things, but im confused on how to tie txt into the systems.
    Do i need to buy a cell that has a computer/usb input?
    Is there a gateway I can buy that will do this?

2. maxxpower

more details...
    the website will list the same information but will be available free obviously
    the website revenue will come from ads.
    I am hoping that even if the website takes off and gets regular page views, it will drive enough people to subscribe to the txt service.
    Just an FYI, in one nieghborhood near my home, 35000 people commute over 1 hour each way, every day. Billboards along this route cost 1000$ a month and a 1 month billboard can probably generate a hopeful 1% trial subscription of that traffic.

Note: I dont really care much of others steal my idea, I have other similar ideas that are more promising based on the same technology, so, by developing this one, I am fueling the ability to expand into others.

3. maxxpower

selling point.
    With fuel prices varying 5c a litre on this one route, a fillup can vary well over 2$.
    If this service saves you ONE variance over a two month period, it will pay for itself.

4. Nakon

Nakon Guest

been done before
    gasbuddy.com, etc.

5. maxxpower

Understandable.
    I am aware of gasbuddy, only from searches for the information. I believe a few months of marketing on selected routes may increase revenue.
    Also, as per my other post.

"I dont really care much of others steal my idea, I have other similar ideas that are more promising based on the same technology, so, by developing this one, I am fueling the ability to expand into others."

6. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

one question, how will you get the gas prices?

sending the text will be the easy part.

sending the text... i found this on google after a few second of searching. don't see any reason why this can't be done on an asp.net page
    http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/SendTxtMsg.asp

7. maxxpower

obtaining the prices will be subscriber based.
    If you see a low price and your price that you txt is the first/lowest price for that route, that day. You receive a free month.
    I also plan on stealing prices from multiple sources available.

8. maxxpower

There must be a different way that these websites use to send txt's. I cannot see gasbuddy spending 10c to send each txt as well as facebook etc.

9. maxxpower

Also, does the idea sound like its worth pursuing. (I know my other ideas based on this concept will be pursued)

10. Nakon

Nakon Guest

texting while driving :hsugh:

11. maxxpower

ftw :)

12. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

i'm sure there is a way around it.

hell, newegg will even send you updates/offers via text message.

13. maxxpower

aye, i know, thats what im here to find out :)

14. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Well you are getting users to register, so you will know their provider. Then you just text the number via email ie ([email protected]). That's how these guys are sending the messages.

15. Nakon

Nakon Guest

it doesn't cost you to send a sms message, it costs the users to receive one.

16. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Not totally true. If you are only going to be sending messages, then you will most likely be able to avoid having to pay to send messages by using some of these free services out there or by sending it via email. If you are going to receive messages, then you will be paying for both inbound and outbound messages.

17. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

You'd be out of business in about 6 months.

Why? Because there is a company that is using your same concept...but they are doing it via a stand alone GPS system. The way it works is you buy their GPS system(like Tom Tom), and then you can submit the gas prices, tell others where there is congestion etc. Essentially web 2.0 in your car. They haven't come out with a product yet, but it sounds promising

18. maxxpower

understandable, Im not looking at making this a primary source of income. Im looking at building something that can grow.
    I am also more interested in the txt portion of the site as I am planning on using a similar technology/concept for a business that I plan on pursuing with other investors. So, the gas price one can fail in six months or survive. Im more interested in building the back end to grow another business on.

19. Franchise

Franchise New Member

I agree with what everyone has said. This concept and idea is promising if you can successfully launch it. I was watching the news a couple of months ago, not sure if it was gasbuddy or not, but there would be people driving up and down each street reporting the gas prices back to a central location that would update it.

Personally, I believe there will be lots of competition. You can use this as a test concept and if it takes off then it does. Regarding the text message, yea just have a database that keeps track of all the Phone numbers and just add @carrier.ca/.com and email them, although there might be restrictions as to how many characters will show ~160ish I think.

Good concept though, worth a shot for the area you are interested in (the one main route I think)

20. Franchise

Franchise New Member

21. Franchise

Franchise New Member

If your market isn't using gasbuddy right now and if you can get that billboard for one month then ya, you might be heading in the right direction.

22. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

Make sure you have a real time gas widget too.

Like this:
    [​IMG]