Business Analyst - Suggestions on study/skill improvement

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So I just accepted a new job as a Business Analyst and I'll specifically be working as a liaison between the business units and the IT department. I've done some of this kind of work in the past but I've never worked as a BA specifically.

So I'm very familiar with the business side and only have a CS degree + about a year of different programming/db type working XP.

So does anyone have any suggestions about books/training/certifications I should seek for this job? Should I focus on project management or specifically IT related type work?

2. Coottie

*crickets*
    <.<
    >.>

uhm....heeellllooooooo

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

dude, BA has such a huge scope. You should at least narrow it down to something specific.

it's like a programmer asking for advice, but we don't even know what programming language he use.

4. Coottie

Yeah I can see that but I'm not sure how to narrow it down further. I mean I already know the business side and I've got some idea of the IT side. It's just that being a BA isn't something I've ever thought about or studied for.

As an example, I have an accounting degree and there's a very clear path that most accountants take. Graduate with BS in accounting, then get a job with a public firm while studying for the CPA exam. Pass exam and move on to either management of the firm or private industry.

Not every accountant takes this path and it's certainly not a requirement to become a top notch accountant. However, it's extremely common for accountants to take this path.

I was hoping there was a similar path for BAs and if so, someone could suggest some study materials or areas on which to focus my time. Perhaps it is too broad but that's why I asked.