GUN Bushnell Outlet is having a sale. What should I get?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Jun 13, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Bushnell Corp is located in Overland Park, KS (same as Garmin) and just heard that theyre having a sale. A coworker bought a $115 bino for $13.xx so im gonna head up there today or tomorrow.

Want:
    Spotting scope
    Scope for hunting rifle
    Scope for target rifle

2. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Holosight. :bigthumb:

3. johnson

johnson New Member

For what purpose? I kinda want an Aimpoint T-1.

4. itchiban

itchiban New Member

You own any EBR's? I prefer the holosight/eotech operation and sight window over aimpoints. That, and T-1's are expensive as all hell and a discounted holosight is never a bad thing. Shit, I'll buy it if it's cheap enough.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Ive got a completed lower and will get an upper before the end of the year. I dont think $640 with LaRue mount is that expensive for what you get. The battery life on it is ridiculous.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm happy with my bushnell laser rangefinder. I'm looking for a spotting scope and binoculars next. That's the last thing I need, more gear in my already heavy range bag.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

Not sure what type of hunting scope to look for. Ive been reading a lot of goods things about the Elite 4200 6-24x40mm.

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

is this online too?

9. johnson

johnson New Member

AFAIK it's store front only.

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Pretty much all of the Elite models are quality, as are the Legend binoculars. And Rainguard is the tits.

11. johnson

johnson New Member

But they have too many models.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Elite 3200 10x mildot. If you can get one cheap, and would send it to me, I'd buy one.

I'm not kidding.

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

where is this at in KC? there's a gunshow in KC this weekend, and it may be worth it to head up there, and swing by the gunshow as well. I know there's a Bushnell outlet store on 291 in Lee's Summit. But where is the sale you speak of?

14. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

figure out what power range you want and narrow it down from there.

Each level (3200, 4200, 6500) brings more and better features, but you pay for it.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

What rifle is the scope for. That is the major consideration. If it's a AR for example which is awesome out to 200 yards with the far end at 400 yards the extreme end at 600 yards you either want a 1x4 or a 3x9 variable power scope. For most people the 1x4 is going to be the best choice. At 1 power it will be fast for moving targets under 100 yards. At 4x it's good to out about 400. Now if you shoot lots of small targets past 400 you might want a 3x9 but just understand that at the lower 3x your going to suffer at under 100 yards. It's just too hard to find the targets at close range with any kind of speed. I would not bother with fixed magnification.

Now that you have the desired magnification down you want to look at the important features. Number one is quality of the glass. Look for something that just looks bright and clear to your eyes. If it looks blue, hazy, and you can't adjust it so it clears up then set it down. Check out the paralex. Now a magnified variable power scope will have some paralex, but you want to find one that has the least possible. It's easier if the scope is mounted to a stock (many better retailers have them on those blue plastic psydo stocks). Get your cheek weld and move your head around ever so slightly (without breaking cheek weld) while holding on target. If the recticle moves off target a whole bunch then it's too much paralex. Next look at the eye relief. I like my scopes to have a ton of eye relief. This will allow you to see more outside the scope. This is important as you kind of see the target outside of the scope then swing the scope onto target. Scopes with a grip of eye relief will need a special mount to move it forward. I like a larue spe or the mounts plus moa.

The last part is the recticle. most likely your going to have some sort of cross hair set up but the ones with the BAC are nice. Once you get it sighted in and how what distances the hack marks do then it takes out a lot of the guess work.

For example if it is zero'ed at 200 yards and the center of the cross hair and the first mark under is 300 then the next is 400. This is tricky as you will need specfic ammo going at a certain speed to make it work. Even still if it does not work out exact with your ammo you can figure out where those marks are. EX center cross hairs at 200, first hack is 285, 2nd at 385 (your ammo hit's 15 yards short of scopes bac. It will still give you a good reference ex 250 yard shot, hold between the center and first hack.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

jeepilot, it's the outlet store in Overland Park. It should be the same in Lee's Summit.

I called today and the guy said it was mainly binoculars and range finders that was on sale. He quoted me $4xx for a Elite 4200 so that's not too bad for being local.

I was reading the reviews on Midway about the Elite 3200 10x Mil-Dot. Seems like a very good scope for the monies. How much would you buy it for if they had it?

17. johnson

johnson New Member

The scope will be going on a CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 Swede for hunting and target shooting. Let's say the shots will be <300 yards. This is if I decide to buy a hunting rifle.

If not that rifle then most likely a Savage FP10 in .308WIN.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For under 300 yards a 1x4 would be great. If you wanted to shoot out to 600 then I would get a 3x9

19. johnson

johnson New Member

What do people use the 6-24x for?

Why do people recommend 3x9 for rimfires when the round doesnt shoot that far?

I don't need a scope right now but a spotting scope would be nice. The outdoor range I go to has one you can borrow for free but I'd like to have my own.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Rimfire (seriously, I've seen it.)

4x is plenty on a rimfire. I have a 3-9x on my 10/22 and it probably hasn't been moved past 3x for the last 2 years. One these days I'll get around to putting on a 4x or smaller. I think many people equate stronger magnification for better shooting. Almost all of the noobs I've taken shooting, as soon as I hand them that 10/22, they move it up to 9x :rofl: and I'll out-shoot them on 3x easily.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

My rule is 1x for every 100 yards. So If I were shooting out to 1000 yards I would want at least a 10x scope. So I can see some application for the high power scopes for extreme long distance. The other market for scope that high power is for bench rest. If you got your rifle locked into a rest and you only shoot one target without moving a high power scope can be advantage.

22. johnson

johnson New Member

23. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

24. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

same here.

25. johnson

johnson New Member

Disappointment. The scopes were a less than what you'd find online but they are factory refurbs. I think it was the Lee's Summit store that had killer deals.