GUN Bushmaster O.R.C.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Werm, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Werm

Werm Guest

2. MTech

MTech New Member

Never was a fan of Bushmaster too much.. nor were any of my AR owning friends, in fact one has all Colt and a Bushmaster and thats the only one they ever have problems with.. You could build one for that price or could even get the S&W for the same price or slightly less. Stag does work for them and they also have a LM&T Bolt&Carrier group currently.
    [​IMG]

SPECS:

Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
    Action: Gas Operated Semi Automatic
    Capacity: 30 Rounds, 5.56 mm or .223
    Overall Length: 35" Extended / 32" Compacted
    Stock: 6-Position Telescopic
    Forend: Thermo-Set M4 handguard
    Sight Length: 14.5"
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
    Weight (No Mag): 6.5 lbs.
    Trigger Pull: 7 lbs. (approx.)
    Upper/Lower Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Chromed Components: Barrel Bore, Gas Key, Bolt Carrier
    Receiver and Barrel Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Front Sight: Adjustable Post
    Rear Sight: Adjustable, Folding Battle Sight

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a S&W MP15. It was under $900 and it kicks ass. I highly recommend it!

Almost everyone else I know has bushmasters and armalites, and they all love mine.

Chrome-lined barrel, 5.56 chamber, fully staked carrier, 3 mags, great price, 6-position stock, removable carry handle, etc, etc, etc. It's a great value!

here's my MP15 next to my friend's bushmaster:

[​IMG]

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've heard mixed reviews from people with Bushmasters. I almost bought one before I got my M&P15, but what I had heard changed my mind. Now, I never heard from any of them that their gun didn't work, but they all said the accuracy was so-so for an AR, and the fit between the upper and lower was nothing to write home about. I figured for the same price, I would try out the M&P. I'm happy with mine, although I have never shot a Bushmaster equipped in the same way.

5. MTech

MTech New Member

In terms of the few models S&W does offer I've read that the S&W 15A is the best deal out of the bunch. The reason is because this model is made in house at S&W, comes with an LMT bolt carrier group (one of the VERY best in the business) and a Troy BUIS (again the very best in the business).
    All the S&W models (less the performance center one) were built by Stag. Stag could not keep up with the demand so the T&A models were moved back in house. The barrels are standard Wilson Blanks turned by mossburg. The 15, 15A and 15T all use the same barrel which is chrome lined, 1/9 twist with a carbine gas system and Rifle barrel extensions.
    The performance model uses a Loathar Walther SS barrel with a 1/8 twist.

The easiest way to tell if the T&A were made in house is to look at the BCG. The bolt will have an MP and the letter K or L stamped in it. The carrier key will also be properly staked.

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

There's nothing special about the ORC, it's just a marketing angle to kick up the price.

7. MTech

MTech New Member

Also noted.. The M&P, also has the Troy rails. Since S&W has brought the manufacture of the 15A and 15T in house, reports are that it switched the bolt carrier groups from CMT to LMTs, including Carrier o-rings and properly staked carrier keys. The Troy rails and sights themselves run $500.00 retail. There are at least two online dealers that will sell you a 15T for 1200 or 1210 out the door. Throw on top of that a 15 or 20 dollar FFL transfer fee in your area and $20 shipping, and your looking at $1245 essentially to your door. That total price minus the Troy add on's retail price means the lower and upper (w/o sites or rail) and the LMT BCG is $745. That's a great price, and virtually impossible to significantly beat with a Stag 2T, even if you order it as separates.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

If I had been looking for something that was going to have optics, I would have liked to not have the gas block with the sight on it. I intended to keep mine open sights, so this wasn't really a problem for me.

I have the standard 15, so I guess I don't have all the fancy internals. Not really a big deal I guess, the thing works quite well.