GUN Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Feb 3, 2009.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Any of you hardcore AR guys have any experience with them? Not the old weird ones, but the new M4 looking deals that are supposedly interchangeable with nearly any regular AR parts.

My buddy picked one up on a whim, and it looked pretty neat. There's another one for sale locally for a reasonable cost. I dig lightweight stuff, and I've been kinda wanting to put together another AR. I'm thinking if everything interchanges, a 17" rifle length tube/gas sytem, with a PRI forend would be kinda neat. Balance out the back, and add the new Triji 1x4 and it could possibly be a hell of a utility rifle. Think one could keep the weight ~7lbs all up? Barrel profile would be a lighterweight contour, or maybe a mid-weight deal that had the fuck fluted outta it. If I came across a sizeable sum of money, an ABS carbon barrel would keep the carbon theme kicking, and the weight down (of course, I'd actually have to get a barrel from them, which might be an adventure in itself).

Anyone have any opinions?

For reference, the rifle my friend got, and the one I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

2. They are very light. I heard stories about the carbon receivers cracking, but that was a while ago, and may well have been fixed by now. As far as keeping it ~7#, my non-carbon AR is 7.5# with a light, empty mag, and sling. They're definitely cool rifles, but I haven't heard enough stores of people really putting them through their paces to comment on long term durability.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'd heard mention about the receiver thing, but no real hard data and it all seemed to relate to 9mm variants. Supposedly they (Bushmaster) beefed up the receiver on the latest versions to help combat that.

Looking for real opinions on AR shit is ridiculous. I see a million threads, half of which are talking about the guns 90 generations previous, and the other half are rife with people parroting stupid shit that they vaguely recall hearing somewhere else. It's always funny to me to hear someone go on some huge rant about how something "sucks", only to later admit that they don't/haven't ever owned the item in question, and have never even shot anything with it.

I've seen your rifle, and it looks like a pretty cool setup. The blueprint I posted above is what's held my interest for a while, as I think it would be nearly perfect for my needs. ~7 is a somewhat arbitrary number, but I feel if it was balanced, it would make an incredibly practical carbine. The rifle-length gas system would bolster parts longevity, recoil reduction, as well as (hopefully) reliability. Could always add a comp if I wanna go racing with it. I like 1x4's, as it's a great power range for me (300 is about as far as I'd be shooting regularly with it, any more and I'd just grab a bolt-gun).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I havent heard anything positive or negative about them for a long time. I do remember hearing of a few cracking but that was a while ago. I've been kicking around the idea of the carbon upper on a cav arms lower for a while.

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

ya, same story as everyone else, issues with cracking, but more importantly if there was a kaboom, it ends up being a big kaboom rather than just blowing out the magwell and ejection port.

Been a while since I've heared anything since. The reputation will affect resale. If it's a good deal, I'm sure it will be fine, but I wouldn't rush to pick it up over a regular AR.

barrel is where you save the most weight along with lack of rail