SRS Burnt Out

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DSAzeppelin, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

So right after high school, I went to an accellerated college. While I was there, I had 20+ hour days, 7 days a week for the entire time. There were a ton of times where I was up for days at a time, even pushing up towards over a week without sleeping(6 months of work was destroyed 2 weeks prior to graduation...so I had to bust my ass).

I pulled that schedual for over a year. I didn't have time to ever take a break and have fun(didn't even take breaks for holidays)...so for over a year I just busted my ass. I honestly had no problem with that because I'm a very hard worker and I was extremely dedicated. Hell...I graduated at the age of 19...I was happy about that, even with me working so hard.

However I graduated back in April and since then, I cannot get my legs back under me. My body is just extremely exhausted and my mind is fatigued. I can't maintain normal sleeping habbits. And no matter how much I try to recoup....I just cannot get my mind focused and motivated. I can't be productive.(I've had a lot of other shit happen to me lately which is also contributing).

The reason it's been hard is because I'm an artist/animator and with me feeling like this, I've been having a hard time getting creative. I may have little sparks of motivation, however after a few hours it's literally all I can stand.

It's been 9 damn months since I've finished and I'm still burnt out...and just exhausted. I'm trying to kick my own ass and get into gear, but it's not happening as of yet.

Not much you guys can do to help me figure anything out, but its just...frustrating. :sad2:

2. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

How old are you now? I don't have a clue who you are but I'm sure I could give you a good outside opinion over a Beer if you want :dunno:

3. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I'm 20....no legal drinking until April. I could use a beer :down:

4. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

:sad2: Sorry man :(

5. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

my advice would be to not see a doctor. There is really not much a doctor can do to help you. In this sort of situation you're really the only one who can help yourself. If you decide to work, just get to work. it's that simple. If you want to know WHY you find it hard to get back to work, go talk to a philosopher because I doubt anybody knows the true answer.

6. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

but he might not realize that he can, all I'm sayin.

7. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I've been trying to take care of things myself. After school I took time off, tried to relax and try that whole...get my legs back under me...but for some reason I cannot.

I took as much time as I could...but its to the point where I need to get back into gear and start tackling everything...but I literally cannot. Like I said, both my body and mind are both still fatigued and I can't produce anything. All of my creativity and imagination has been pretty much sapped. Even though I've been trying.

If I was in a "normal" field of work I doubt I'd be having as many problems.

With that though....I actually just went to the doctor as of a day ago trying to figure things out. I've been having those sleeping complications, fatigue along with heart problems, so tomorrow I have to schedual an appointment with the hospital to get all these heart tests and do a 24 hour monitor thing. My doc want's to figure the heart stuff first and then focus on all the other junk.

The Doc is also thinking it may have something to do with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since it runs in the family...meh.

I just want to be able to create some art and go make some movies damnit :hs:

8. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Thanks man :hs:

9. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You probably just need some anxiety meds for a little while until you get back to normal. They will help you sleep and calm down all the stressed out feelings which should bring your creativity back.

10. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

My mother and sister take Lexipro(or whatever it is) for similar stuff(all of us have anxiety/panic attacks) so I think I'm going to ask the doc about it next time I see her.

I'm getting those heart tests on Monday and Tuesday...so hopefully that'll solve some stuff and then maybe talk about taking a light med to get me straightened out. I don't want to go on a med... I've always tried to stay away and handle everything on my own, but at this point I think it'll help to take a bit for a little while. Hopefully :x:

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I make my living in the creative field as well. I know what it feels like to have periods of fatigue which affects your creativity. There I was just a couple days ago working on projects all day in my home office and not talking to a single other human being all day drove me crazy too.

I've learnt not to fight it so much. When I'm uninspired I may take some time to head out for some coffee, meet up with some friends, or maybe head down to a bookstore to flip through some magazines. Your mind needs time to unwind too.

A few weeks back I was in a lull and then I ended up going to a Q&A session with Kevin Smith and that got me all motivated again. If you meet and hear from other creative people, you can sometimes feed off of that energy.

Be careful with any meds....while I can understand some of our most creative minds were probably under the influence of one thing or another, having something cloud your mind could work against you too.

12. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

You HAVE to rest your mind.

Days off will not suffice. You must put your mind at ease.

Maybe try running 3 miles every 3 days. Wait and see what that does to you. ;)

13. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

:werd: I use exercis as a release everyday, and seriously it works awesome for me.

Secondly, Fuck man! you're only 20! I'm 24 and just finishing up my junior year of college. Relax, and don't worry so much. You've already got your degree, so your miles ahead of the pack anyway, plus your youth gives you no worries on having a great future. Sit back, try some meditation, some exercise (martial arts if you want to combine the two) and realize that as long as you take care of yourself, there will always be another day.

And as far as getting creative, give it time. If it never comes back, someone as intelligent as yourself will be able to find something else you love to do.

Best of luck and take care.

14. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I know exactly what you mean by this:

That is one thing that sucks about moving back home. While I was in school down in Florida, I had my buds around me who were all extremely creative, and my entire school was filled with people making art and working on projects etc.

My best bud Chris, both of us really fed off of eachother and did some great things together. We would willingly work our asses off for days at a time working on some project because we were so pshyched to work on something. We kicked ass.

Being around other people like that really kept me going. All of us just fed off of eachother.

Now I'm back home by myself, in a completely un-motivational enviroment.

I've been slowly trying to convert my basement into a work studio to help with that. Maybe get more of a creative space...but money is putting a damper on that as of now.

Like I said up above...I have always really been against taking meds. I've had panic/aniety attacks since high school and have done a pretty good job of handling them....but the last few months have been killing me. Pretty much everyday is one giant attack...

so I was thinking just for now taking a very small dosage of that Lexipro to see if it'll help me calm that part of my problem down. My other family members take it and aparently it has little to no side effects...so I think I'm willing to try it.

That is definately one thing that I need to step up. I've always played sports my entire life, always worked out, etc....however with school I literally had no time to do any of that.

Now, being back home, I do have time, so I really need to make an effort and start being active again on a regular basis.

Plus it's about 20 degrees here...so running in freezing weather will definately wake me up :p

Yeah....I know I'm 20 and still have tons of time. I'm just so used to going out there and working my ass off and kicking butt. I'm so excited to actually get a chance to go out in the industry, landing a job at a great studio and making some movies to entertain all of you(even though that is a very long process to get to that point)...etc...I just want to get out there but I have this major hurdle in the way.

I probably need to slow down even more so and forget about work and blah blah blah :hs:

Maybe I should only really worry about my career after I can legally drink... :wiggle:

Thanks man :)