Burning sensation in lower abdomen when doing heavy squats...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JeffMerr, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

This has been occurring for the past 2 squat sessions. Whenever I start going heavy, like near the middle of my squat day, I get this painful burning sensation on my lower-right abdomen. I don't feel it until I squat down, then as I push out of the hole the pain gets bad. It feels like someone is holding a lighter to that area shown in the picture. I can still make it through my reps, but it takes some teeth grinding. There is no lump or anything, but I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had a hernia, and if this sound like the symptoms of one brewing? thanks.

[​IMG]

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

burning sensations are a fairly good indication of a hernia, if you have no clear protrusion from the abdominal wall or into the groin it could be the cutaneous branch of the femoral nerve getting irritated. I had a person I was training with a similar issue, my physiotherpaist / sports physician injected a shallow local anaesthetic into this nerve. We then went and trained. Since no pain was felt when the nerve was anaethetised it was concluded that he did not have a hernia.

My recommendation is you find a good physio/md and consult them.

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

god i hope its not a hernia man...

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

i've had this happen the few times i tried squatting with a belt on about a year ago, in the exact same spot, at the exact same point in the squat. Never squatted with a belt since then and it hasn't bothered me, which I guess is retarded, because I've done nothing to fix/identify the problem. Never felt the pain otherwise though.

5. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

I get the lighter burn sensation when I do shrugs.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

id take it easy for a while, if theres no protrusion or anything thats about all a doctor will tell you. also make sure youre doing hip flexor/psoas stretches

7. pkr

pkr Guest

It's not. Hernias don't burn. I've had one. If it was a hernia, you'd be able to push your intenstine back and forth.

8. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Interesting because that's exactly the case with mine. I'll do a few warmup sets with 2 plates with no belt. But when I go to 3 for my heavy sets I have the belt on and that's when I feel it. I'll try my heavy sets with no belt next week and see if the same thing happens. I wonder why the belt would be the cause of this though.

9. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

back off with the quickness...and peal is right...my training partner is still dealing with his 4 years later

10. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

it could be a few things:
    weak abs
    small tear in abs (i bet it's this)

to fix:
    hold off on anything that agrevates it
    strengthen core
    wear a lifting belt
    warm up properly

11. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Monday I have an appointment with 1 sports rehab therapist and 2 docs. We'll see what the deal is.

12. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

im curious to hear what the docs say, i had the same sort of pain. i backed off and it went away after a month, i never had a lump pop up so i figured it was hip flexor related

13. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Just got back, doctor said it's definitely not a hernia.

He gave me 2 scenarios, he said I could have damaged some tissue in the lower quadrant of my abdomen which is causing the burning as I am extending my stomach outwards during my squat. He also said that there is a high possibility that the belt is causing the nerve which runs over the same quadrant to be pinched.

Tomorrow he told me to test it, putting the belt on and trying sets of low-moderate weight, like 2 plates using the belt, if the burning sensation is still there then we know that it is an issue with the nerve being pinched. So good news for me.

14. Memor

Memor Active Member

keep this thread updated when you hear back more man...really good info, thanks for checking into it

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

could be your uterus

16. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

:rofl: Are you drunk again?

17. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

:rofl: :h5:

18. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

if your doc was cool he would've given you a local.... :p

good to hear that you'll sort it out.

19. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:coold: Great news.

20. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

[​IMG]
    Its common to feel burning in the ingunal canal during heavy lifting because its a very thin area of tissue. Back off for a little

21. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

:werd:

gogzy got his fixed by some chick rubbing his hooha. i fixed mine by stretching the psoas, taking some time off, and squatting deeper.

22. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

how do you stretch the psoas?

23. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

It was definitely the belt positioning, I fucked around with it a little and found a sweet spot, got familiar with it.

Today I finished off my squats with 2 sets of 315, 8 reps, didn't feel 1 damn thing, soooo happy it was something simple. Thanks for the advice peoples.

24. Memor

Memor Active Member

what did you change, positioning wise?

25. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

I had the belt riding to low before, it was right where the nerve crossed over the top of my hip, so it was a bad spot. It's the EFS Retro, and it's still pretty stiff. I just pulled it up an inch or 2 and gave it another shot. If I would have known about that nerve it wouldn't have been a big problem at all, the way it felt and the location that the pain was in scared me into thinking it was a hernia or something related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.