Burning Coolant?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by orangecuse, Jun 9, 2005.

1. orangecuse

orangecuse OT Supporter

This is not relative to muscle cars but I didn't know where else to ask.

93 Topaz.

I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I smell either burning oil or burning coolant. I notice it after the car is running for a few minutes. A small amount of smoke will come out from underneath the hood....Any suggestions? I have never encountered a problem like this.

Thanks

2. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

I suggest you probably have a leak.... Anybody else agree?

3. kha

kha New Member

Check for visible holes in the hoses. If you cant find one its probably your radiator. Goto autozone buy the NO LEAK radiator liquid, pour it in ur radiator. If problem continues youll probably need to replace your old radiator.

4. Good God!! Do not put crap into your radiator other than 50/50 a.f./water! That crap builds up and will clog little places that need flow through them and I have never heard of it working anyway. Open your hood after your car has reached operating temperature. Try to locate where the steam/smoke is coming from. If it's steam, then it's a coolant leak -- smoke is oil leak. Take your car to AutoZone. Ask a salesman to come outside and take a look at it. They have to -- it's their policy. Have the problem fixed properly instead of pouring insta-fix junk into it.

My first guess if it's smoke, then oil is getting on your exhaust manifold, could mean anything from a valve cover gasket leak to a stopped up pcv valve. If it's steam, then there's a good chance it's the upper radiator hose or possibly a heater hose. Probably not the lower radiator hose unless it's squirting coolant upwards.

5. kha

kha New Member

"That crap builds up and will clog little places that need flow through them "

^ Really? Can anyone back this up? Well it worked fine for me, the leaking stopped... but i hope i dont have more problems because of it...

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It stops leaks by congeiling in crevices. Sometimes it will stop a leak, but it will also increase resistance while doing so, by gelling up at other spots. It's definitely only a band-aid fix, and should only be done long enough to get a REAL repair performed.

7. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

if it is a small crack in the radiator then drop an egg in it to fix the problem (sounds odd but it works, i have done this on many cars with no problems).. check your radiator hoses, radiator punctiors.

if you are leaking any radiator fluid check your water pump or heater core..

if its burning and leaking... just hope you dont have blown headgaskets