Burning an .avi to a dvd disc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kendan, Jan 24, 2007.

1. kendan

kendan New Member

Is there any way I can burn an .avi file to a dvd without it taking 3+ hours? I tried to burn the video file in nero and it said it had to transcode it then burn, and would take 3 hours. So then I thought maybe converting it to dvd files will be easier/quicker, well after 15 minutes it was only done with one percent. I guess what I'm asking is if there is some kind of converter that doesn't suck or wtf am I doing wrong. The file size is 686 mb, and I have a lite-on Sowh 1693S dvd+rw/r burner. Also I was using ultra avi converter trying to convert the file, and the section in nero where you have a chapter on the main menu (I forget what it's called). Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, but thanks for responses in advance.

2. khaosxiii

khaosxiii Active Member

shit takes time - thats jsut how it is. it especially takes time if you don't want to loose any quality.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You can use whatever you want, but it's going to take a good bit of time whether you like it or not.
    You can use Nero, Roxio, Encore DVD, or anything else but it's till going to take as long as it takes.

4. slikz

slikz New Member

You could always get one of the XviD capable dvd players. I think the popular one was from Phillips.

5. copeland

copeland smarter than you

just burn it as a data dvd in nero...it will copy it exactly as is to dvd...it will play on any device that supports divx...

6. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I've had some weird problems on my main desktop pc with any conversion processes just stopping and the conversion app quitting after a little while. It doesnt do it on my wife's computer, so i just use her's at night when we go to sleep. But its damned annoying to not be able to use my computer to do it.

Edit, and to the OP, just deal with the time. Set it to work before you to go sleep, and when you go to work/school/etc. Anytime you know you'll be away from the comp for a few hours.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's very dependent on the speed of your pc, and whether you
    have a single core, or dual core cpu.

Nero takes advantage of dual cores, and I can recode a 4gb+ movie
    to a 3gb mp4 file with nero in just over 20 minutes.

But I'm running an Intel E6600 C2D.

9. kendan

kendan New Member

yeah it took a long, but I was really surprised in the quality of the video. I guess it's the price you pay.