Bumper repainting with Clear Bra?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by natelam, Sep 16, 2007.

1. natelam

natelam New Member

Long story short, minor fender bender with roomate's car results in paint-only damage to my rear bumper.

This bumper has a 3M clear bra coat on it and the black plastic of the bumper is showing in the areas of damage.

Question is - can a body shop remove the 3M Clear bra and spot paint or do they have to sand the entire bumper down because of the clear bra and repaint the bumper?

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

First question is why do you have a clear bra on a rear bumper?

Either way if they pull the bra up or off its going to have to be replaced. You cannot reapply those as far as I know. They couldnt when my hood was damaged

3. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

No they don't have to sand it. You can even pull it off yourself if you want. Use a hairdryer over it to loosen the adhesive and just pull it off. And no it can't be reused.

And just so you know, it's not terribly hard to install a new bra yourself. 3M makes a good video with instructions, and it will be a hell of a a lot cheaper that way. You might need to find somewhere authorized to sell it. PM me and I might be able to get you some for cheap from my work if you decide to do it that way.