GUN Bullet proof hoodie' condemned by gun groups

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bullet proof hoodie' condemned by gun groups
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3682725.ece

Gun control groups have condemned a new “bullet-proof hoodie” which claims to protect against street violence.

The £300 Defender hoodie makes the wearer’s upper body invincible to every bullet up to a high velocity rifle, its makers claim.

It was developed by Bladerunner, a London based company which also makes stab-proof tops.

Barry Samms, the owner, said that a mother from Walthamstow, East London, had asked for the Defender after her son had been mugged three times.

“Our current customers range from undercover police officers to concerned parents,” he said.

But gun control groups said today that the company was practising “exploitation at its most grotesque”. They predicted a rise in gang violence, saying children would buy the hoodie as a status symbol.

Raymond Stevenson, a spokesman for Don’t Trigger, an international anti-gun campaign based in Brixton, London, said: “It’s not helping kids to provide them with bullet-proof armoury. These companies are just encouraging the escalation of the urban warfare.

“It’ll give people the false impression that they’re protected and will encourage more aggressive behaviour.”

The hoodie weighs one kilo, only slightly more than a normal version. It can be bought with the Bladerunner logo – but without it there is no indication of its capabilities.

Mr Samms denied his firm was targeting teenage gang members with the invention. “It’s only a hoodie because you can’t really put a zip across the front of something bullet-proof,” he said.

“Adults wear hoodies too. My mum wears one and you don’t see her hanging out on street corners.”

But Adrian Davies, a partner in the company, admitted that the item could encourage people to become involved in crime.

“We don’t want to be arming gangs,” he told Times Online. “But we can’t investigate everyone who places an order.”

Mr Davies said that Bladerunner had received more than 100 emails this morning from people asking about the hoodie. “Our website’s had 3000 hits just on that product,” he said.

The hoodie is currently in the prototype stage, but will be on sale in the next four to six weeks, Mr Davies said.

Last week Gordon Brown was forced to defend Harriet Harman, the Deputy Labour Party Leader, after she wore body armour to tour her South London constituency. Ms Harman claimed she did so as "a matter of courtesy", and compared it to wearing a hard hat while visiting a building site or a hair net in a meat factory.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

OT group buy :x:

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

After my last trip to the range I wouldn't mind having one for range use.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: why would they protest it if guns are banned? :hsughno:

5. T.Grimace

T.Grimace New Member

STAB PROOF!?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I were living in the UK I'd feel like I needed one. Violence is just as prevelant there as anywhere in the US and at least I have the right to defend myself here.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats the admission that it could encourage people to become involved in crime?

I'm surprised we dont have more body armor restrictions in the US really.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I got hit by a ricochet or a bit of a metal target a few trips ago. Luckily it wasn't moving too fast and I was wearing bdu-style pants (thick) and it just stung really bad and left a mark -- but no penetration. Hit me in the thigh worryingly close to my wedding vegitables. I told the faggots next to me to move their fucking target more than 10 yards away (they were shooting a .223 AR at one of those metal "flip-around" targets)

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i thought guns were banned :hsughno:

10. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

11. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

Nice.....doesn't it read "use at a minimum of 30 meters" right on the package? Maybe it's the metric systems fault

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i dont know. I've never bought one of those steel targets. I stick to paper taped to cardboard about 3 ft off the ground.

Our range is outdoors and there are rock-covered walkways down the range with dirt in-between them. You're supposed to walk on the rock and put the targets in the dirt. People put targets on the rocks all the time (especially cardboard boxes RIGHT on the rocks) and you hear the "zip zinnng" of ricochets all the time.

On more than one occassion i have left the range early because redneck fucktards will show up with their granpappys guns and start doing stupid shit.

I left last week because some dipshit brough a bolt-action and some of his buddies and he "swept" the firing line with the barrel a few times when he turned his body to talk to his friends. I asked them to leave and they just got all "free country" bullshit on me. So I left. My life is worth more than can be trusted to faggots like that.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I went to the outdoor range for the first time this year recently, nice weather brought out a big crowd but alot of sweeping was going on. They've gotten better at the outdoor range about allowing people to shoot at crap thats not a target, use to be people would shoot at bottles and any other garbage that was blowing across the range.

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

If you wanted a BP hoodie, just get a vest and wear a hoodie over it :dunno:

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

its a crime to commit a crime while wearing body armor here in FL.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And its a crime to murder someone with a gun, it still doesn't stop them from trying to legislate your ability to get guns away :big grin:

17. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Hint:
    Email 1: "Dear sir; I am writing to enquire about your newly-released product. Based on reviews I have read, I believe it will suit my needs perfectly. I was unable to locate shipping information on your website, if you can send it presently I would be inclined to place an order."

NOT GANGSTA

Email 2: "YO DAWG THAT SHITS TITE I NEED ME SUM DEM. YO. HOW MUCH BALLA? CAN U SEND SUM BY FRIDAY ME AN THA BOYZ GOTS A PARTY YO.
    ALSO I CAN SEND SUM1 TO PICK UP.
    NO COPS."

GANGSTA

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol @ "NO COPS"

19. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I went to their website and I'm not sure you can buy them yet, says they're coming soon.
    But yea I'm down for one, after all these shootings on campuses lately I don't see a reason to not pony up the money

20. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Yea its hard to find a good outdoor range with quality people there these days...

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Our range is divided into many smaller "ranges" with tall dirt mounds seperating them... I imagine most ranges are setup in this manner. I would pay extra if I could "reserve" my own section just to avoid the dipshits.

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My outdoor range shooting lanes lay out is L shaped with one section being all rifle the other being pistol. I wish it was broken down where there were only several lanes per section. My indoor range is nice 6 lanes in each booth and being I usually go on weekday mornings I get the whole booth to myself most of the time.

23. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'll be honest, I would rather have a gb for regular bp vests :o

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh. Ours has about 10 mini-ranges with between 6 and 12 lanes each... with lengths ranging from 25 yards to 200 yards.

I am ajusting my schedule to go when not many people are there, and I have stopped using the "covered" lanes since those are more popular.

25. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

:werd: