MMA Bulking

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Abomb, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

Im currently at 5'10 155 pounds and I would like to bulk up as I have just started my training for mma. Im not posting this in f&n because I cant stand that forum. Does anyone on here have a great bulking guide they can link me to or someone who has gone from 135 to 180-200ish that can walk me through what specific types of foods I should be eating, when, etc? Ive gone from 125 to 155 all by myself but I have since then plateaued out. Thanks.

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

only advice i can give you is:

A: take it easy, you have trained for one day, focus more on your training and not on your size.

B:Find your natural weight and stay close to that. Don't force yourself to get too big, I am the exact same size as you now and this weight is very confortable for me, when I get close to 180 I feel super heavy and just feel a constant strain on myself like i am wearign a weight vest.

C: its better to get outclassed by a LW than getting outclassed by a LHW. Focus on training, then worry about how much you weigh, muscle wont win you fights, conditioning and skill will.

D: If you really are set on bulking dont rush it. Guys our size cant take as much calories and protein and weight gainer as bigger guys, it will just result in a large belly and adequite strength gains. If I were to try and bulk again I would do it with just a simple Muscle Tech msucle stack and all natural protein sources. (no shakes). Also you will need to take in extra calories that you will be burnging on your cardio and your mma gym time.

E: agian, i really suggest not bulkign until you have been rolling for a while, the better yoru cardio is in the begining the faster you will be able to learn. You will be able ot put in more hours in the gym, you will learn more because you wont be fatigued, etc...

good luck though.

3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

F&N is your best bet, because they're good at this kind of thing. It's not their fault you've been an ass for so long that nobody wants to help you.

You don't even have to ask anybody, just use the stickies at the top of the forum.

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i tried gaining weight too (and still am)

i've been taking CytoGainer, per muscle68's recommendation

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

too much bandwagon mentality, it sets me off too easily in f&n, i think ill peruse the stickies though

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

How much of a factor does strength training play in fighting? for the past 10 months ive been hitting the deads, squats, hanging clean press, pull ups, chin ups, dips, etc pretty damn hard. Im trying to go in lean and diced, yet really strong and mobile for my size.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It's important, but strength and technique learned through actually doing is more important than weight lifting. My strength from my time lifting has helped in alot of situations, but superior technique usually prevails.

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:werd:

We train with a guy who is like a fucking shaved gorilla. He's a monster physically but he's getting beat consistantly by guys with almost a year less experience because he doesn't learn anything and just trys to rip your arm off. He doesn't care about positioning or having you in guard or mount before he tries any of his subs, and just in general forces everything.

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I see I see. Im going to continue hitting the multi joint compound movements really hard (4 days a week?) and maintain my current weight for now.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

IMO this is a mistake because doing squats and deads that many times week + mma training is gonna make you sore 24/7. It is much much easier to learn the moves and be able to do them correctly if you don't have to battle against your own body the whole time.

If you wanna focus your workouts on improving your ability to perform in fighting sports you're better off doing crossfit.

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

your body will hate you

12. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

If you actually want to compete, you don't want to be very heavy.

Get the Grappler's Guide by John Berardi and Michael Fry, it has great stuff on nutrition.

13. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

what did you do to get to 155? I'm 128 and it's been one of my goals to reach the 150 mark but I really don't know how:hs:

14. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Lots of weight lifting and food eating. It isn't tricky or complicated, but it is time consuming and takes willpower.

15. Abomb

Abomb New Member

cytogainer, eat 6 times a day every 2-3 hours, lots of whole milk, steaks, egg whites, banans, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, bagels, donuts, etc

16. Abomb

Abomb New Member

thanks for the tip

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm not very strong at all and I do ok :dunno:

I've beat guys WAY stronger than me. BJJ FTW.

Though you don't want to fight out of your weight class. I can't fight at 170, most of the times I've tried I just got to out powered. But I'm still not very strong for 155.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

its not hitting the guy super hard, its hitting him when he's not expecting it. imho, strength is a great substitute for a lack of skill.

19. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Damn right it is. So is size. But that doesn't mean it is better to be small or weak.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

because i said that....

21. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i decided im taking muy thai and bjj at the same time. the head instructor sat down with me and said i could specialize in ground game or stand up combat first and then go back in and fill in the holes but he recommended that i learned stand up and ground game at the same time.

with that said, i can speak from personal experience in what i could recommend to you to get stronger for our weight. (i hover from 150-160).

dead lift, squat, pull up, chin ups, dips, hang n clean with press. these are the heavy hitters, you can always go in and throw in bench presses, etc but id completely stay away from isolation moves such as bicep curl :ugh: or lat raises etc.

oh fuck, yah and i forgot, definetly work your lunges (barbell and dumbbell) along with twisting movements such as wood chop and reverse wood chop for your core and your striking movements.

my end game goal is to be strong as fuck for my weight with the speed to go along with it. :noes:

22. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Sounds alot more fun than cutting weight :hs:

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

don't bulk yet, are you planning on competing in a certain weight class sometime soon or something? why is this a need for your MMA right now? aren't you just beginning your training?

24. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

My tips for bulking (Im way too good at Bulk)
    1. Creatine
    2. Protein Powder
    3. Good Diet (Fish, Chicken, green Veges, Muesli for breakfast.)
    4. Heaps of water!!

I dont see the point of bulking to fight MMA though.
    Half of the fighting is Aerobic and half is Anaerobic you have a look how every decent MMA guy trains its not based around specific muscle growth its about cardio and anaerobic conditioning.

25. Abomb

Abomb New Member

well apman, its no so much a NEED. I feel physically like I am too small @ the 150-155ish range. Yes, I am just beginning my training, this is all based around my perception that i feel really fuckin light at my current weight.