Bulking - Eating too much?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ag330Ci, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ag330Ci

Ag330Ci OT Supporter

I've been bulking since beginning of July at 165 lb. w/ ~15-16% bf (5'8"), and now I weigh 181 lbs.

Doing some calculations based on bf data from a bioimpedance scale, it roughly comes out to 5 lbs of muscle and 11 lbs of fat.

Now, is this too much fat gain? Should I eat less?

2. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

i'm hardly the pro here, but I thinks 7lbs a month is waaay too much. you should be targeting 2.5lbs/mo on a clean bulk.

3. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I started out the same time and had almost the same exact numbers. 5'8, 164 lbs.

My goal was to gain 1 lb/week. It's been exactly 14 weeks now and I'm only @ 171. I feel way behind.

IMO, I think you're doing it right if you have an ectomorph body type.

4. Ag330Ci

Ag330Ci OT Supporter

Yeah, I'm ecto. I've been gaining 1.5 lb/week, but maybe 1 lb/week would be better.

Plus, my dress pants are getting little too tight to be socially comfortable.:noes:

5. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I think you are bulking too quickly, especially given that you were not terribly lean to begin with. You gotta look at, the more fat you add while bulking, the longer you are going to have to cut to take it off. The longer you cut, the more muscle you will lose, and hte less time you'll spend gaining!

Better off to bulk slowly and cleanly, adding minimal fat, then you can do SHORT CUT CYCLE, and then back to bulking. And even if the results are the same after 10 months to a year with the clean way of doing it you will have looked better and felt better about yourself for the duration of that time period. which, i assume, is really the whole point.

just my opinion.

6. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

check your BF%

7. Ag330Ci

Ag330Ci OT Supporter

I agree with you. I'm new to bulking so I wasn't sure if this much fat was reasonable or not. Should I cut now or just continue to bulk slower? Right now 181 lbs @ ~19-20% bf, and was relatively untrained when I started.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

werd.

and starting off leaner is way better.

Many people here tried to tell me I was wasting my time cutting 10lbs of fat before bulking up (even at 155), but it was the best idea ever. With a slow clean bulk, i've added little fat - and my abs look almost the same as they did at 145, even though i'm almost 20lbs heavier.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I'd recommend getting down to AT LEAST 12%, personally if it were me, i'd try to get down to 10% and then go from there. But if you have really low muscle mass, 12% would be acceptable.

there are two trade-offs at play, and its a personal preference (if you have really low lean muscle mass to begin with.)

#1, if you add muscle on quicker, lean muscle mass will burn more calories, which will help you get leaner in the future.

#2, however, anytime you cut you sacrifice muscle in doing so. So, if you start out with virtually no muscle, and cut down to 9-10% you're not really losing as much muscle (b/c you didn't have it to begin with). Then you can start with a nice lean frame to work with.

But adding muscle is often times better motivation to stick with it than is cutting fat. So just decide what you want, how bad you want it, and go for it. no real wrong answer, important thing is you choose a healthier lifestyle you can stick with.

10. Ag330Ci

Ag330Ci OT Supporter

Good stuff. Thanks all.

11. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

well personally, i was 175 6'1 but i was like beer fat. i managed to gain 20 pounds in about 7 months while staying relatively lean (about 12-14%) look for my unfinished and half assed log for pics of me.

good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.