Bulkers: Acid reflux problems? (GERD)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by zackflavored, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

For all you people who are trying to make/gained weight gains, do any of you have GERD (Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease)?

Recently I've been showing symptoms of acid reflux, probably from all the late night eating I used to do and now im dry heaving/burping like a motherfucker after I eat a meal, making shoving down those calories extremely inconvenient.

If so how did you guys deal with this or work around and still make the gains you wanted?

2. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

Youve got to watch what you eat, thats for sure. Ive got the same problem, and I eat really plain bland food. It sucks, but.... Im not as uncomfortable as I was.

3. Spur

Spur Boomer

I had a pretty bad acid situation in late january and early february. Started out with more gas than usual, then I eventually started having chest pains. It got to the point where every swallow of food felt like shards of glass traveling down my esophagus. 14 days on Priolec OTC (omeprazole is generic), and I haven't had a single problem since.

4. Spur

Spur Boomer

And I'm 99% sure it all happened because I changed my diet up after coming back from winter break. Your body will eventually adapt.

5. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

if youre gonna take a PPI(prilosec/prevacid), take it 30 minutes before breakfast every day. It works best that way.

6. Spur

Spur Boomer

:werd:

but I think the directions already say that :mamoru:

7. zackflavored

hmm yay atleast it sounds like it can be fixed

this a prescription deal? or can i just go out and buy it at any store? :hsd:

8. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

omeprazole and lansoprazole are OTC.

9. zackflavored

schwing :bigthumb:, thanks.

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I have it.

I notice it gets worse when I switch up my diet. Whether it be macro intakes or overall bulk/cut changes.

It got to the point where I was using alkaseltzer a couple times a day. I finally saw the doc and got nexium. It helped, but I didn't want to pay for it.

Now I just use Prilosec OTC. I do a 14 day cycle (that's what it suggests) every 2 months or so and anytime I get a flair up I use organic apple cider vinegar and that usually helps control it.

Bulking heavily is a nightmare due to this. I am usually fine for a few weeks, but after 3-4 weeks of bulking it usually gets bad.

For me it's genetic since my both my parents have it. A big trigger for me tends to be tomato sauce.
    The Prilosec OTC every couple months really helps though.

11. Memor

Memor Active Member

paging synthetic

12. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Eating your own reflux doesn't count as treating it, lol.

14. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

most likely youre too acidic and need to eat more alkalizing foods + fibers (e.g. broccoli, spinach, etc)

15. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Too much anime imo

16. synthetic

synthetic New Member

its a heavy mental thing. avoid hot sauces.... slow down on eating, which is key (your saliva in your mouth is suppsoed to assist digestion of food, stomach acid is not enough).... i get gerd when im starving and down a meal in 5 seconds which may gf takes an hour to eat... avoid eating cottage cheese at night

thats what helped me

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, eating extremely fast is a problem for me too. I'll finish my meal when friends are not even halfway through.

I think in a previous life I was an animal of some sort who had older siblings stealing my food constantly.

Slowing down with my eating helps control heartburn and gas.

18. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I got acid reflux bad for about a week when I went from 3500 to 2500 calories. It usually happens when you make any sort of big diet change

19. Daria

Daria New Member

caffeine and fat will trigger acid production in the stomach

Since you probably want to keep fat in your diet, cutting out caffeine completely would be a big help.

Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Prevacid. He/she will help find the best dose for you. Some people need more than one a day, depending on how severe the symptoms are.

20. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

prevacid is otc now, sweetie (@ 15mg, rx strength is 30)

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Instead of cutting out caffeine I switched from black coffee to Americano's (expresso shot with water added) and black teas. From what I read, they have less acidity and my GERD has gotten better. In fact, when I drink normal coffee (if not on my prilosec) it will flair up a bit.

22. shikkoku

shikkoku New Member

i had the same problem but dont take prevacid.

you wanna fix it there are two ways

1. you might be eating too much fat . i see this a lot in low carbers . your body can only absorb a certain amount of fat and after that it just sits in your intestines and fucks with everything. (in this case you can eat more zinc or just less fat) or both

2. take a tablespoon of braggs apple cider vinegar with each meal until you get better than you can do like 1 a day until you get better

also the alkalizing thing helps

also up the salt if you are trying to stay sodium free or whatever bullshit is being pushed on the masses at this time. eat your salt and get some iodine w/ it.

any questions hit me up.

some people get reflux due to too much acid but thats rare. usually its from too little acid and taking a acid suppressant just makes shit worse but covers up the pain and discomfort.

23. shikkoku

shikkoku New Member

and i wish i could be postin on my main account so you would believe me but i cant so just take my word, im an 03

24. shikkoku

shikkoku New Member

all that late night eating could have contributed to something called candida as well you can look into that as well. it sits in your gut and lowers your acidity

try this test

http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html

when i did it there were streaks all over the cup and shit, you gotta wait like 30 mins - 1 hr less if you have it bad.

if you fail that test let me know i can help from there

25. Daria

Daria New Member

I just got my last refill and I agreed to take the generic brand the pharmacist offered. They're almost like a third of the size of the original and I'm starting to get some nausea again, so I think I have to visit my doctor again to see if maybe I just need to take more than one instead of going back to Prevacid. I really don't want to go back to Prevacid. Even if it were necessary to take 4 of the generic brand a day, it would still be cheaper than one a day of Prevacid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.