Bulk first and then cut?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Perfect Speed, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Ok,
    So I've been out of the gym for a bunch of reasons (some good, some not) for quite a while now. I started in 04 trying to get myself into shape. It was working... and now with the time off, I'm basically back to square 1.
    I'm 6'1 255ish. My body fat is probably sad, but I don't know the exact amount.

I'd like to get to like 200-210 and roughly 8-12% body fat. The thing is, I saw and read now that you're supposed to bulk FIRST, and then cut. Does that work in my scenario too? I'm supposed to like ballon to 270ish and then try and lose like 70lbs of fat? Or what?

I'm just looking for insight here. I can't start back at the gym til sometime next week (starting a new job then, wanna make sure my sleep is on track til then because it's gonna be 2nd shift) So I have some time to develop a routine and diet plan. Thanks in advance.

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I think the "bulk first, then cut" advice is mainly for the skinny or the skinnyfat bastard out there. When you're leaner, you put on more muscle compared to fat so I guess you should cut first.

3. Perfect Speed

Thats what I was thinking... But I wanted to get some insight/confirmation
    Anyone else?

4. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

In your situation, I would say to cut first.

5. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Depends...

It's much easier for your body to burn fat if it has more muslce mass to work with. But, if you're over fat and have more than enough muslce mass to make you happy, there's no reason not to cut.

But then again, I'm a fat perma-bulk guy :wavey:

6. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

7. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I cut first, and lost a good solid 30lbs of fat before I started to try to bulk, everything went very smoothly too.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, that makes sense physiologically but when you need to cut 70 lbs of pure fat, it's definetly not encouraging.

9. Perfect Speed

Well honestly I'm just curious, cuz if I should cut first...

then I gotta restructure my whole previous routine.
    I gotta make a new one really.

10. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

I'm in the same boat as you (fat boat). I guess I need to rethink what I'm doing.... I used to lift seriously 12 months ago, but I had a pretty serious injury (the tendons on both sides of my hips were almost ripped apart) so I wasn't able to do much. Now i'm trying to get back in the game, and its rough. Its depressing not to be able to lift the same weight as I used to, really messes up my motivation. I'm getting a little better..... but its going to be a long, long trip back to where I was. time to go look into cutting routines/diets :sadwavey:

11. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Keep at it bro

Last April I decided to start lifting again after 10monthes off from a heirneated disc.

In May I was deadlifting 60lbs, squating my body weight, benching 135x5 was hard as hell.

Now 5monthes later I'm deadlifting around 200lbs, squating around 200lbs, and my max bench is around 260-270. Totally lopsided I know but considering a year ago I could barely tie my shoes I'm happy.

Just keep going, in a couple monthes when you see results you are going to feel so much better :bigthumb:

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If I could post my back progress pics FN would go :eek4:

13. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

hey thanks for the support man, really unexpected (for OT, at least). what routine did/are you using?
    A big problem for me now is just being scared to try things. I need to suck it up haha.

14. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2452108 :bigthumb:

And start SLOW. You don't want to go an re-injure yourself :nono:

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

How did you almost do that :eek3:

16. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

Jumping out of airplanes :mamoru: also chipped part of my kneecap off on my right leg, small fractures in my left kneecap. it was my 3rd jump at airborne school.... then i had to run for 2 more days with all that going on, with 2 more jumps. I'd wake up, eat 8 800mg ibuprofens, and uh....was in horrible pain. fortunately the rest of my jumps went great, but i could barely walk for a month after hahaha.

*edit*
    After about a month the swelling in my right knee went back down, it was approximately 2-3 times the size of my left knee. I couldn't run for about 4-6 months, I also had a really bad break up with my first "serious" girlfriend, so I drank a lot during that time, and ballooned up. I was at 205lbs after graduating airborne school, I could run 5 miles in about 35-40 minutes, 70-80 pushups, about 20 pull ups, and benched around 240, I think (this was mid-2004). I still haven't tried to run, just bending in certain ways hurts my hips like crazy, and sometimes just sitting down will start to hurt. Its really fucking annoying. My doctor at the time said it would take 36-45 months for my tendons to heal. so I only have about a year or two left before I'm back to normal :rofl: good times

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  17. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

thanks for the link TQ, thats some great motivation. :bowdown: :bigthumb: I'm 6'3, 265lbs, my goal is 210.

18. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Good luck man :bigthumb:

I'm still not down to my goal weight of 220 but thats my own fault. I enjoy drinking a little too much and cardio too little :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.