SRS Bulimia

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tman, Dec 8, 2006.

1. tman

tman New Member

It's not me, it's my lover. She's has to throw up her food a couple of times per week. Not sure what to do, she's been doing it since she was 11 or 12 (she's 18 now). She knows the negative side effects and jokes about them. Any advice for me?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What should I do if I think someone I know has bulimia?
    If someone you know is showing signs of bulimia, you may be able to help.

Set a time to talk. Set aside a time to talk privately with your friend. Make sure you talk in a quiet place where you won't be distracted.
    Tell your friend about your concerns. Be honest. Tell your friend about your worries about her or his not eating or over exercising. Tell your friend you are concerned and that you think these things may be a sign of a problem that needs professional help.
    Ask your friend to talk to a professional. Your friend can talk to a counselor or doctor who knows about eating issues. Offer to help your friend find a counselor or doctor and make an appointment, and offer to go with her or him to the appointment.
    Avoid conflicts. If your friend won't admit that she or he has a problem, don't push. Be sure to tell your friend you are always there to listen if he or she wants to talk.
    Don't place shame, blame, or guilt on your friend. Don't say, "You just need to eat." Instead, say things like, "I'm concerned about you because you won't eat breakfast or lunch." Or, "It makes me afraid to hear you throwing up."
    Don't give simple solutions. Don't say, "If you'd just stop, then things would be fine!"
    Let your friend know that you will always be there no matter what.

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/Easyread/bulnervosa-etr.htm#i

Basically all to be found on the website above.

3. tman

tman New Member

Hey Dark, thank you.

4. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Don't let her hide. When I start to fall back into my Ed I pull away from everyone. It's easy to fall deeper into your illness when you don't have people who love you giving you that sideways glance everytime you walk out of the bathroom.

Eating disorders are different for everyone. Like dark said, talk to her and be supportive of her recovery rather than critical of her current actions. She may not want help, so be prepaired for that.

There are quite a few posts here about this subject, so if you search, you'll come up with alot of information. Good Luck :)

5. tman

tman New Member

Thank you, both advice and sympathy help. I'll search the forum for more info unless someone has some specific advice or experience.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,