Built a new desktop a while back, stopped working a few days ago, no hardware changes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ///M, Jan 5, 2009.

1. ///M

///M New Member

Basically, in September or October or something I put together a new machine. Everything was running fine until a few days ago when I got back from vacation. The system was running fine all day long, then I left for a few hours with it downloading a few things in the mean time, and when I got back (2 hours later) I noticed a weird grinding kind of noise that sounded like a fan, and on the screen it had the following message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The thing is, my boot devices are set up as they always have been, and the only thing I can think of as far as recent changes is about 3.5 weeks ago I installed a 500gb 7200.11 as the primary HDD and reinstalled Vista. It ran fine with the new HD for about a week before I left. It now says this message every time I start it up.

So :werd: any insight into what might be the problem would be awesome. Here's the specs on the system:

Asus P5Q Pro
    Intel C2D E8400
    4gb G.Skill ddr2 1000 RAM
    500gb Seagate 7200.11 (OS drive, was a 36.7GB raptor before this)
    500gb WD Caviar GP
    Visiontek HD4850
    Antec EA500 earthwatts PSU
    Antec p180 case
    zalman 9500 cpu cooler

Running Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM with all updates

2. ///M

///M New Member

Oh snap, I just turned it on to read what the message was and 5 minutes later the grinding/buzzing noise is back :noes:

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the PSU. Would the PSU be causing this to happen? :dunno:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How should we know? Open the case and stop the fans one at a time with your finger.

4. ///M

///M New Member

No, it definitely is the PSU. Would the PSU (presumably being bad/shot) be causing my computer to not boot? :dunno:

5. ge0

ge0 New Member

Get an enermax PSU, they run forever.

6. notladstyle

notladstyle New Member

PSU might have damaged the HDD - verify the hdd is still running and that you can read the data in another PC

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If one of the power rails went dead, that could definitely keep the machine from booting, because the hard drive might not be getting any power.

If you're sure the PSU is bad, then the obvious first step is to replace it. Whether that will turn out to be the only problem, I don't know.

I recommend Corsair power supplies. I don't recall who they're actually made by, but they're a reputable brand, and the modular cabling system actually works well.

8. ///M

///M New Member

:cool:

I'm going over to my buddy's place tomorrow with my HD to see if it boots in his box :noes: I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out on the PSU :o

9. ///M

///M New Member

Anyway, I finally got some time to look into it. I started by throwing the HDD in a prebuilt acer box from a few years back.....gave me the same error. I used a different cable, same thing...then I decided to throw my old raptor in the acer (raptor was my old primary in my new computer), it booted right up.

I just put the raptor back in my new box, and it booted up no problem. Looks like the 7200.11 is dead, literally after 3 hours of usage :wtf: I guess shit happens :dunno: