buildup on laptop surfaces

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AriS, Jun 21, 2006.

1. AriS

AriS New Member

whats the best method of cleaning the buildup on laptop surfaces on where you rest your palm? my left side palm rest is getting my palm marks on the grey casing. i tried to prevent it getting any worse by putting the original sticker it had on the right palm side to the left, but now it just has an imprint of it with outlining of the sticker. now i have a notecard with electrical tape, but is there any solution i can buy to clean it the 'grub' off?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, 99% isopropyl alcohol.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windex and a paper towel or light scrubber will remove dead skin very well. Just don't scrub too hard, and clean your keyboard while you're at it; you'll appreciate the new-feeling keys once your slippery skin oil is cleaned off them.

Clean it while it's off, please.

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I've always just used alcohol pads. Be careful not to do it too much or it could lighten the paint job.

If it's that bad of an issue you may want to wash your hands every now and then before you use your laptop.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windex is BAD.

99% Isopropyl alcohol is GOOD.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's always worked fine for me. Then again, I've never been a good boy about using solvents properly. "Yes mom, I'm cleaning plastic with paint thinner, what's the big deal? It worked the past 99 times too."

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Windex will not harm HDPE or ABS, which is what the laptop body is probably made of. Just don't use it on the screen.

99% isopropyl alcohol will damage rubber parts (such as feet and the little pads along the edge of the screen).