building up decent muscles without using weights? (new here)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nish81, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

hey everyone, i'm new to this place. first some info about me; I'm 15 years old, ~50-55 kgs, and pretty far from broly crew. in fact, very far. no matter how much i eat i dont put on any weight :hs:

i do a basic amount of aerobic exercise, go jogging every couple of days for about 20-30 minutes. im lucky to have a beach 5 minutes away from my house, and there's nothing like a tropical beach in an undeveloped country, (location: tanzania), great place to jog.

anyways, this doesn't really do much for my actual muscles, especially things like my biceps. now here's the problem; my parents don't let me use weights. they say it's bad for me at my age. :hs: sneaking out to a gym is out of the question in this place, you need a car to get anywhere.

so, are there any good ways to buff up without using weights? and no expensive equipment?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

Not true, you just don't eat enough. You may THINK you eat a lot - but you don't. http://www.fitday.com to track what you eat.

Nice! i'm jealous.

If at this point it's totally useless to convince them, there are bodyweight exercise writeups in the stickies here (http://trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml / etc), give them a look. And eat more. I'd really work on convincing them though.

3. exxoizzle

exxoizzle Free mustache rides

show them proof that weights are NOT bad for your age. Do they think it will stunt your growth? because lifting dosent.

4. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

take your left arm and put it out as though you were going to do an imaginary curl with a bicept, only hold your hand out flat, pointing up. Now take your right hand, and press agaisnt the left hand going down, while you are pushing up with the left hand. Now move through the motion of a bicept curl, trying to push down as much as possible with your right hand while still allowing your left hand to compleat the motion. This excersize will work out both arms, switch sides, and your resistence and ability to lift with the curl will increase as you get stronger. If you are creative, you can take this and apply it all over your body =-)

Try thoese kind of excersizes untill you convince your parents =-)

5. MF Doom

MF Doom Guest

there's a lot of research on the net proving that lifting weights doesn't stunt your growth, try and show that to your parents. But if they're still not convinced you can do things like weighted pushups, all sorts of pull ups, dips, and squats or lunges while holding something heavy

6. I Pwn Noobs

I Pwn Noobs Guest

it can be kinda of hard to gain weight at your age because your metabolism is pretty high, other wise, take MF Dooms advice

7. benny196

benny196 New Member

... I'm 15 and I really didn't have much trouble putting on a little weight.

8. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

Yea the best thing to do in your case, by far, would be to try and research on the safety of lifting at your age and try showing it to your parents. Try searching around a bit more i guess...not really sure how to put on more size/weight without working out, besides eating that is.

9. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

You are lucky to be interested this young. I would have loved to start at your age.

10. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

they say all sorts of things. going from it'll stunt my growth to it'll destroy my bones to it'll make me go bald faster than i am :hs: by the time i counter one they're back to another. i know it's illogical, but they're parents and I'm 15. nothing i can do here. though I'll keep working on them.

11. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

I wouldnt recomend doing squats or deadlifts, there is some evidence to show they might stunt your growth. But there is no problem with isolation exercises.

BTW, putting on weight isnt easy for some people, you just need to eat ALOT. Trust me, if you eat large proper meals every 2-3 hours. 6 times per day, you will put on weight. Log your calories on fitday like shown, try to get 3000-3500c.

12. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

here's when i can eat on a regular schoolday:

5.45am: breakfast. can make this a big one. normally have porridge, papaya (fresh fruit ftw), sometimes extra cereal. can add some stuff here definitely.

10am: recess in school. nothing huge here, its the limit of what i can carry. maybe two sandwiches, two nutrition bars, raisins. could add a sandwich and crisps.

1pm: something afterschool. not much AT ALL because of shit-high prices.

2-3pm: lunch. can make this big, atm i don't have that much. big plate of rice + curries, fresh orange juice, teaspoon of garlic (good for something or the other), fresh salad, fresh pear/pineapple/mango/other (depending on season) - normally about two types of fruits. i should get more protein here right? maybe some cheese here?

4-5pm. milk, chocolate cake, biscuits, fruit-yoghurt. carrot juice.

8pm. dinner: rice, chicken/meat curry. OR potatoes, peas, fish. bread, butter, and the whole fresh salad/fruits thing.

as far as i can tell, i need more proteins, amirite? is cheese a good source - cottage cheese?

13. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

link to evidence=

14. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

15. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

My recomendation to you is simply eat everything in sight. But, your diet sounds very flawed, i know its difficult when your going to school. Buy lots of almonds nuts. umm, cans of tuna/salmon too.

I recomend getting some bulk whey supplements ontop of everything (if possible, i know your mum would proberbly go skitz) to get the calories in.

In the end, you might need to bulk on junk food, which is fine i guess, but try to get some Almonds/Salmon/Tuna to help get the protein in.

Milk is good too, drink lots of full milk coffee/milo or something.

16. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

17. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Im posting evidence to the contrary. Iv got no site with proof, but everyone who works for the gyms iv visited thinks kids shouldnt do squats due to it compressing the bones in their spine.

18. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

Dude it is completely safe to be doing compound lifts at 15. Actually it is safe to start working out at the age of 8 with compound lifts but with a proper form as Mark Rippetoe states. Im 15 and started lifting at 14, I was 14 at 5'10" and now im 15 at 6'0".

And to those that its impossible to gain weight its not either at this age just intake lots of protien and carbs and cals and you'll be good.

19. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

When I was about your age I got a program from Charles Atleas, worked fiarly well, isometric I think is what it was called. Worked OK for me, works better if you really put yourself into it. :big grin: Do a search on Google . . . they still sell the plan now a days.

20. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Many people who do boot camp in the army gain 20-30 pounds easy with using just body weight exercises. They eat and sleep like champions...that might be one of the key factors you should mimic along side their exersise routines which includes push-ups, situps, flutter kicks among others. You can even do dips and pullups also.

21. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

You get 'em by asking them for proof for all the shit they say. Then when they can't show you proof, you pull out articles from legitimate websites/books/your doctor/whatever countering their stuff. Then you bring up Arnold and how he's over 6' and has been lifting since he was bout your age. Then bring up how the make ya weight lift from age 8 in Russia and how the Russians can be generally tall people. Then bring up American football players. Then you bring up how most south asians dont lift but still end up skinny weak short fucks and how you're not magically gonna be 6' 4" one day (unless you come from a tall family). Worked on mine, should work on yours. Thank me later.

Though my mother blames me being only 5' 7.5" on whey protein now :rofl:

22. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

What your posting is not good evidence. Do some real research or just don't say shit. Actually you shouldn't say shit at all, your way too new to the lifting game to be giving advice.

23. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

I'm allergic to eggs/nuts; I go into anaphylactic shock if i eat them (basically i stop breathing). and meat is unsafe here. so those sources of protein are out.

I'll check out salmon/tuna :bigthumb: and I'll see about the whey :o

:rofl: I'll try this when my dad gets back

24. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

See the thing i find with parents is, i wouldnt try to fight. If you get on well with them there more likely to let you go to the gym. If you push them into corners through being right, they will just not let you to win the fight.

25. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

nish - im not all that knowledgable about bulking up, but you seem like a cool guy, so keep that shit up and listen to everyone here :bigthumb: i was a skinny dude like you who thought eating "alot" would do nothing. A lot to me now means like almost double what my "a lot " used to be

oh and exercise is SUPER important for skinny guys like us (like ridiculously important for me), keeps our metabolism going and you just feel plain great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.