building new server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bobbyseatbelt, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bobbyseatbelt

bobbyseatbelt New Member

i am trying to gather the parts for a new server for my house. i've got almost everything, but im not sure which OS to run. its mostly going to be a fileserver and i am planning on running vmware GSX server on it. here's the specs:

dual amd 2500+ barton
    4x512Mb ECC Reg pc2100
    4x300gb sata drives (thinking raid5)

im no stranger to linux nor am i to windows. im just not sure what would be the best choice for this setup. running linux would give me robust utilities i could use incase something decides to act up, but windows... hmm what does windows have going for it these days?

any input welcome :)

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Personaly I would run a Linux host system with GSX on that, then windows.

Let Linux and Samba do the file sharing because you wont run into any problems with more CALs being required if you are sharing files to more than a couple clients. It doesn't sound like you are paying for any of this software anyways, if you are going to be using GSX server on a home server ;)

3. bobbyseatbelt

bobbyseatbelt New Member

yeah like 3~4 clients... i usually use slackware, but i've been stuck using RHE at work for so long now i think im just going to go with CentOS. since, well.. its free :wiggle:

i usually like to keep a copy of xp running as a guest with office installed on it since i dont like installing a lot of crap on my main box. esp since office seems to gum things up.

anyone else?