Building new pc, problem with the VC.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asdfbunk, Mar 3, 2006.

1. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

At least I think it's the VC.

I'm getting a "No Signal" to the monitor; checked all the connections, and they seem to be fine. Also tried DVI converter to monitor, no luck.

The fan on the VC is running, so it's not dead(at least I don't think it is).

Here's the parts:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    NEC DVD-RW
    Sapphire Radeon X850xt PCI-E 16 256mb
    2x512 Kingston 2700 DDR
    ASPIRE 520W PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 300 GB HDD
    AMD Athlon 3200+ 64bit socket 939

2. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Have you tried only having the power connectors only plugged to the motherboard along with no other cards in the system.....just the mobo, CPU, RAM, and Video card to see if it would display? Also check your clear CMOS jumper to make sure it isn't set to clear. I got a new motherboard one time that did this and it was set to clear on the bios jumper.
    Are you getting any post beeps?

3. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Thanks for the help, but no luck.

The CMOS jumper isn't set to clear. And I tried only having those parts connected. Still nothing.

uh..what are post beeps?

If you mean on startup, no, the computer doesn't beep at all.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If the computer doesn't do anything at all when you turn it on, then either your memory's dead, or your CPU's dead, or your motherboard's dead. It could be the power supply, too, but personally I've never had one completely fail on me. Under any other circumstances, the computer would at least be able to boot up and yell at you for putting it together wrong. You'll just have to swap out parts til it works.

EDIT: Another thing you could check is whether you have the Frontside Bus speed set too high; that'll usually make a computer act dead when it's not.

5. wparsons

wparsons New Member

Without looking at the mobo details, does it have onboard video?? If yes, is there a BIOS setting to set which card is primary(onboard vs PCI-E)?

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Every VC I've seen sends a signal or completes a circuit telling the monitor that it is plugged into a video card.

For instance, the old Dell I have sitting here, if I turn it off and leave the monitor turned on the monitor will go into standby mode and the screen stays dark. But if I unplug the monitor cord from the VC the monitor knows it isn't connected to a video card and throws up the "No signal detected" box. This applies even if I unplug the power cord to the computer.

Do you have another monitor/video card you can try swapping out? That's the quickest way to fix it.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Do you get any error beep codes?