Building new PC.... need opinions on current specs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

As it stands, I have selected the following hardware...

Mobo: Intel D875PBZLK Motherboard (Pentium 4, Socket 478, 875P Chipset, 4GB DDR, 800MHz FSB)
    Processor: Intel P4 3.4ghz, 1mb cache, 800mhz fsb
    Memory: Corsair 1gb PC4000 DDR (x2)
    Video: ATI Radeon Pro 9800
    Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

I need a PCI video card with TWO (2) VGA outputs that will work fluently with the Radeon 9800. I quickly looked around pricegrabber, google, zipzoomfly, and some other online hardware retailer but all I located were dual DVI output cards. WTF is this? Also, a suggestion for a power supply to use with this thing. I have no clue in that respect, as this is the first computer I've built completely from the ground up.

All suggestions are welcome... this thing is getting ordered Friday, come hell or high water.

2. diranged

diranged New Member

Any particular reason you are going with Intel instead of AMD right now? AMD has had the technology lead for about 3 years now, and is expected to keep it for at least another year or so.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sorry, but I like Intel more than AMD... So I agree with the intel choice.

The 875PBZLK is an awsome board -- but why not go with a 915 or 925 chipset? Intel D915PBLL or D925XCVLK come to mind as awsome boards that will last a lot longer. Just switch to the Intel 550 processor and DDR2 memory. If you want DDR (why?) then Intel makes 915 mobos with DDR support.

GET RID OF THAT SOUND CARD!!!! Holy crap that card sucks. You can get an MAudio card for half the price that's twice as good.

That video card is outdated and lame. Grab an nVidia 6600GT and you're set.

4. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

Can I get a suggestion for a power supply for this puppy? ...200w? ...300w? 400w?

I dont know what will be best for it.

Also, instead of the one AGP card and one PCI dual output vid. card, I can do the one AGP and two single output PCI vid cards, ya?

thx. :)

btw, the memory will eventually be up to 4gb.... if that will make a difference with the power supply.