Building new PC, have q's about front side bus speed vs memory speed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gameson, Sep 16, 2007.

1. gameson

gameson New Member

so been thinking of buying new PC. The front side bus speed is 1333 MHz (Intel Duo E6550). I notice that the system (Shuttle SG33G5) is equipped with DDR2-800 MHz PC2-6400.

So if I get a faster memory speed (900 MHz, or 1000 MHz), is it going to kill the system? I am sort of confused as I thought front side bus speed is the bottleneck between processor and memory, yet the speed of the processor and memory is not matching.

probably someone can explain?

Thanks.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Even slow memory is astoundingly fast. Get the 800 memory and forget about it.
    And besides, the closest I've seen is 1300 ddr2 memory, which isn't a perfect matchup anyway.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The actual FSB clock on the E6550 is 333Mhz. Since intel implemented a "quad-pumped" bus, the effective bus speed is 1333Mhz since 4 transactions can take place during 1 clock tick. The memory speed is based on the FSB clock in combination with multipliers. Since memory is DDR, the FSB/multiplier speed is doubled. So at 333Mhz FSB with a 1:1 multiplier, the memory would run at DDR667 speeds, at a 6:5 multiplier the memory would run at 400Mhz or DDR800, etc. The maximum memory speed depends on the multipliers provided by the motherboard.