Building New Computer...Need Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kaldes, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

New Editted List near bottom of page

Well I was looking at the Velocity Micro Gaming Machines which are expensive still I think so I went to NewEgg.com and built me my own. Take a look and see how I managed. Would love to hear your comments.

Purpose : Multi-Tasking / Gaming ( I want both worlds)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

You'll definately need a better power supply...

Sparkle, antec, ocz..

3. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Ok then how about:
    Antec P4 ATX12V 450 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans, Model "SL450" - Retail
    Model# SL450 Item # N82E16817103920 - $77.00

4. marauder

marauder New Member

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You'll hear Enermax, Sparkle, or PC Power and Cooling for PSU's

I'd get a differnet CPU fan either Zalman or Thermalright

I'd downsize the ram to 1GB unless you really have a need for 2GB, would also probably get Corsair over that PQI

Processor you need to get a 939 pin not 754, i'm an Intel fanboy and even i know this.

Sound card meh, i just use onboard.

6. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Hmm ok, I guess the PSU I'll look at more.

I changed the CPU Fan to a ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model "CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL

And downsize the Ram, maybe, I just want to be able to have everything open like Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver , AIM, Internet, and other misc things without having to feel the pain for it, like I'm now. Maybe a 1 gig is more then enough

Motherboard is 754 and Processor is 754 is that wrong? Or you just recommending to go with a 939 pin instead? If so why?

The reason for the soundcard is I have 7.1 speakers I would like to take full advantage of so yeah

7. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

You could get dual channel if you want, it'll be a bit more expensive but that looks like a high-end rig to me and it would be a bit faster. Make sure the motherboard and processor are the same socket types, 939 being better than 754.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

9. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Cool, what about down the line of where computers are going is this going to be a semi decent thing to upgrade later. or should I go with an Express Motherboard along with a Express Graphics Card?

10. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

go with the Zalman fan for your CPU, and might as well replace your graphics card fan with a Zalman since that will end up seizing in a few months. Go with Thermaltake for PSU, i have one and i love it.

11. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Sweet ok 754 motherboard then it is. I will be back will another newegg list. (probably when I get out of class tonight)

12. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

or get an enermax or antec case that comes with a nice PSU.

13. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

If that case has a window, and the modded look, ditch the Rosewill and get the MGE Sidewinder, or preferably the Viper.

Both come with amazing, heavy duty power supplies and have great construction, which was much improved with the "Version 2.0" cases.

I have an MGE Viper "V. 2.0" and it's just simply amazing. I dropped the side panel with the window a full five feet, and there wasn't even a dent or paint chip on the panel.

Also, the reviews that claim that "The power button cover is cheap and brittle" are unfounded. I've abused the living shit out of it, and it's actually mounted in a way so that it won't snap off. I also have a friend in Charlotte, NC who has three people in his immediate area with Vipers, and the power button covers never break, as with anything else.

It's also very quiet...But be sure to buy a rear 120mm fan for it; Newegg may still have pics for the "V. 1.0" that has 2 80mm mounts. It also looks much prettier with blue Aspire 80mm fans, IMO.

14. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

If you want it to be good and upgradeable down the line, go for the new nforce4 board from DFI with a nice pci-e card and socket 939 processor. Any dual channel 2x512 ram unless you're looking to overclock, then get higher quality stuff. PC3200 of course. Get a reliable power supply and good case. DVD burner is up to you, I recommend the nec-3520A is guess, and if you really want high performance get a 74 gig 10k rpm raptor.

15. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

So what about Processor options. I'm not sure how much I want, I want to say at least 2.4 Ghz, any suggestions.

16. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

Well, they're Athlons, so you won't really get 2.4 ghz unless you get something pretty expensive. For a high-end rig, I'd get at least the 3200+, although the 3000 is probably the best bang for your buck, considering overclocking potential. Make sure it's a 90nm if you want to overclock.

edit: If money isn't really an issue, then get the 3500+.

17. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Well ok heres another list, the only missing is a damn Case - have no clue what i want. Probably will need to add more fans, but other then that take a look.. and tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

18. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

Bump for opinion!

19. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

looks good. the only thing i would change is the mobo (not a fan of via chipsets), but the rest is perfect.

20. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

OK - I just typed a big response but I deleted it on accident. So here it goes again, but not as detailed.

Value ram is evil, 1 gig of corsair xms in the 200 dollar range will be better.
    Winchester core processor is best, the 3500+ is 70 bucks more. Do eeeet.
    WTF with the hard drives? you can't run them in raid, so the raptor is a huge freakin waste. Two IDE drives will do you just fine, and cost a whole hell of alot less. A 120 and an 80 gig will be more than enough. Or two 80 gigs, and you would still have more than enough.
    Nice power supply. Plan to add more to that box? If not, you don't need one that powerfull.
    Thats about it.

21. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

You are an idiot.

22. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

From what I've seen, the nforce3 chipsets outperform the Via chipsets and are better for overclocking, but not by much. You could get the K8N neo2 platinum from MSI, which is probably the best nforce3 board out there, but for like 10-20 (canadian) dollars more you can get the non-sli nforce4 board from DFI, and DFI is pretty much the best enthusiast motherboard maker out there. I strongly recommend checking out some reviews on it. Make sure to get a pci-e video card if you get nforce4!

edit: I'm pretty sure that 3200+ is a winchester, ledzep. I don't think they come in anything else.

23. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

all new socket 939 low end cpus are winchesters.. that includes 3000,3200, and 3500+'s.

24. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

One raptor non raided has been proven faster for an OS drive than in raid 0.

25. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You can still buy newcastle cores, value ram has slower latency that nice xms ram, and money can be better spent than on a hard drive.